Hash, Inc. Forums

Flipping one side of a rig

adamP

I only rigged one side and need to flip it.

I read in an older thread that all you do is scale the root bone by 100% along X, then rename all of the "right" names to "left."

My question is how do I scale the root bone by exactly 100% ? I tried in the properties window in the PWS, but when I click on the percentage, nothing happens. It won't let me edit the percentage of the scale. I am only able to scale in the actual model window.

If you want to copy the rig from one side to the other, you'll first need to create a new, empty model, then within the PWS, drag the root bone of your existing rig into the new model. All of its children bones should be copied along with it.

In the new model, select the root bone, turn on manipulator properties and use the Scale manipulator. Type "-100" for the X scale in the manipulator properties box. Rename all the bones accordingly. (You can save the model as an external file, delete it from the project, open it in a text editor and replace all instances of "right" with "left", then re-import it into the project.) Drag the root bone of the flipped rig back into the original model.