Hash, Inc. Forums

What rig is Jeff Lew using in his vid?

pixelmech

Does anyone know what rig Jeff Lew uses in his training video? I watched it over the weekend and it seemed so easy for him to use. Granted, he is experienced. But I liked the elbow targets, nulls to control the feet and just the seemingly simplicity of it all.

I working through Mike's tut now and I have TSM2 as well. Rigging is the one thing that is literally killing me. I haven't done much animation excecise yet simply because I haven't rigged any of my models to my satisfaction to where I can work with them without them getting in the way.

Someday someone will automate all this to where it works perfectly the first time! :)

I have not looked at his downlodable character "Green Dude" in a year or so, but what I remember is that it's not really a rig at all.

It's the just he skeleton bones with some rotation limiting constraints and Lock IK directly on the mesh bones.

Which actually isn't a bad way to control your character at all.

But I'd have to check it again before I would know for sure what was happening in his bones set up.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I just downloaded the divx of jeff lew. I decided to try his rig to get through the tutorial then try another rig after.

it seems pretty good. sometimes rigs get way to complicated and only end up causing more trouble and time than anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I've used the green dude rig on a few of my models. It has a rig for the legs only. Which is actually a nice thing. I've stopped using the 2001 rig because the arms have a terrible rotation problem and often make it difficult or impossible to animate them. It could just be an error in my setting it up. Though I do love the elligant simplisity of Jeff's Green Dude rig.

I am all about going back to the simpler rig. I have been using the 2001 rig, and I am just not savvy enough to handle all the quirks. I hate to even contemplate re-rigging Gnosh and Flin again, but I get some real oddities with the fancy rig. It is likely error on my part, but I am a big fan of the K.I.S.S. rule. Keep It Simple Stupid!

What sort of problems do you have with the 2001 rig?

Minus all the stride length, center of gravity stuff, the ik rig should be error free.

If you still want to use an IK rig, go through mypdf tutorial on putting the ik stuff in. You can find the pdf on my site under

"free stuff"

Should only really be about a 15 to 20 min. proceedure.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• 2 weeks later...

I had been searching for a rig like this for a while. I come from elswhere in 3d land (Maya at work) but use AM at home because of the price. After months of fooling around with all the overly complex quirky rigs out there, I figured out how to set up a rig very close to this.

This is actually how our animators set up characters at work. (plus ik on arms) So this is the kind of rig that me and most of the guys i know working in other software rig our characters.

Now that i have figured it out, I am going to do a video tutorial on it. I'll try and get it done this weekend.

I had been searching for a rig like this for a while. I come from elswhere in 3d land (Maya at work) but use AM at home because of the price. After months of fooling around with all the overly complex quirky rigs out there, I figured out how to set up a rig very close to this.

This is actually how our animators set up characters at work. (plus ik on arms) So this is the kind of rig that me and most of the guys i know working in other software rig our characters.

Now that i have figured it out, I am going to do a video tutorial on it. I'll try and get it done this weekend.

Hey that would be AWESOME and very welcome here in AM land. Please keep us posted, I would love to try out a rig like that - and build it myself so I know what is going on.

And BTW - welcome to the Forums and A:M!