Hash, Inc. Forums

Duplicating Rigs

Dhar

Uhhhh... How about "Show Some Backbone" in TaoA:M?

Hi Martin,

I've completed that tutorial but it doesn't show how to duplicate your own rigging set up and apply it to your other characters.

Now that I think about it, what I should have done (and saved time) was to use the skeletal rig and modified it to my pelican (deleting bones I didn't need &/or adding ones I do) and then do the same for my other characters?

I've completed that tutorial but it doesn't show how to duplicate your own rigging set up and apply it to your other characters.

Delete geometry (splines).

Save model as "myrig.mod"

Follow TaoA:M but import "myrig.mod"

Delete geometry (splines).

Save model as "myrig.mod"

Follow TaoA:M but import "myrig.mod"

OK Martin, I know you're probably busy with the release of v12, so I'll ask this of anyone who has the time & knowledge; what do you mean by "delete geometry"? Do you mean to go to the spline model and delete it? How can I save a deleted model?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm learning :blink:

• Admin

Dhar,

I'm not Martin (obviously!) but to delete geometry/splines all you need to do is grab them and hit the delete button.

Following Exercise 13: Show some backbone should provide the rest.

For additional information you can also check out the following tutorials that go into even further (actually too much for what you need just now) exSPLINEations:

2001 Rig Intro

Best,

Rodney

Edit: Wow... Martin is quick! He beat me to the post.

Ya know, when the Grand Poo-Baa takes time to answer the little people, it speaks volumes about the integrity of the person behind A:M. This is more than just a 3D program, this is the grassroots of an entire culture. Thank you.

I followed your suggestions and...!@#$% crash, glitch, whatever. I'll reboot and try again. <I gotta upgrade> ;)

Ya know, when the Grand Poo-Baa takes time to answer the little people, it speaks volumes about the integrity of the person behind A:M.
Indeed, but I wish he would reconsider the "poo-baa" moniker. I realise the title comes from the Gilbert & Sullivan operetta The Mikado (meaning, more or less, "Lord High Everything Else"). I'm not sure how this translates in US English, but with my English-English mindset my brain translates the "poo-baa" spelling as "sheep shit". Merriam-Webster gives it as "Pooh-bah" or "Poo-bah".

I followed your suggestions and...!@#$% crash, glitch, whatever. I'll reboot and try again. <I gotta upgrade>
Ho hum.

What I can't understand is why you want to rig your pelican three times. Surely once is enough? Or are your pelicans vastly different from each other? (It is possible to create a character with pose controls to vary the shape and colour.)

Either way, if it wasn't clear from what the others said, it is possible to have a model with a bone structure but no CPs or splines, and then drag & drop that bone structure into your new model. If your PC is suffering crashes, be sure to work on copies.

Thank you Rodney and Stuart for your suggestions, needless to say, some file got completely corrupted and I had to start from scratch. What happened was everytime I went to chor to test the work, my model had some strange poses and missing bones. I rechecked everything, rebooted a half dozen times, same results. Apparently the program did not like me deleting the spline model and refused to save the rig structure.

FYI, I have Windows ME, which is probably why it isn't so stable. I'm looking in e-bay for an XP upgrade. Hopefully that'll resolve this issue.