Hash, Inc. Forums

Bulb won't glow

Something trivial I'm sure, but how do you make a bulb or any other self-illuminated object give off a nice glow?

The pic has the KeyLight on set to 21% with the FillLight turned off. One new light (set to "bulb") is placed in the center of the bulb model with volumetrics On and intensity turned to 100%. The glow shows nicely on the floor, but the 80% transparent "bulb" model isn't illuminated at all.

Am I missing something (obviously), or is it not possible to make a light source shine from the center of an transparent object/model and illuminate the object as well as the surroundings?

Please help me shine some light on the subject :blink: Gotta get out more often

bulb.jpg

Hm... why dont you apply glow to the surface of the lightsource? Just go to your bulb-model, select the group with the glas, go to surface and search for the glow-property. The light is illuminating the bulb, but what you are searching for, would only be possible with a very heavy fall-off and a HUGE intensity... the best way is to use the glow-property... the strength can be manipulated by your chereographie-settings or ambiance-strength...

Ah, by the way: Glow will only be rendered if you make a final rendering (so, the blue-box-renderbutton, not the green)

*Fuchur*

That worked, thanks.

Now, two more questions: How do you make a light shine through a porthole? What causes leakage of light when it it placed inside a complex model? For instance, I am modeling the Nautilus submarine and want to have a light on the inside of the sub shining through a porthole to the outside. When I turn on volumetrics for the light inside the sub, the whole sub glows in every direction.

bulb1.jpg

You can use a klieg for that and turn volometrics on... if you just want to show the light on another object like a shine through a window, you can use a light-image...

If you want to know more, I(or someone else) will tell you more...

*Fuchur*

Please, tell me more. I am not familiar with a light image. Here is a pic of what I have so far. I turned down the intensity of the light in the wheelhouse (a bit too much in this shot) and the light in the big porthole in the center of the sub. The sub is a WIP as you can tell. Volumetrics are turned on for the center port, but not for the wheelhouse for comparison. I noticed when I had volumetrics on for the center porthole with intensity at 100%, the light shone throught the hull, not just the porthole. I don't want that to happen.

Man there is a lot to learn in AM, even just the little stuff like simple lighting.

Also, I noticed that the tail and nose of the sub are out of focus. I have noticed that on several models, although I made sure the near and far focus of the camera included the whole model. What causes the blur?

n1.jpg

Light will go through the back of any patches. So, you'll need to give it double thickness if you don't want it going through the hull. Or you could just restrict the falloff of the Kleig to the port-hole.

Just turn off Depth of Field in the render options. Also, play around with multipass and motion blur.

Lightimages are images, which will limit a light without geometry... in Victor Navone's Alien Song he uses lightimages for the lighteffects on the ground...

You could try to make a image, place a klieg in front of the whole and give the image to the light...

The image would be a black/white-image. I think the white parts are the one which will be shine through, black parts will prefend the light to appear. If you give the image the whole-shape, it could work out. But I never used it with Volumetrics. Just try it out.

I think you can give an image to a light by simply drag and drop the image on the light... I havent used that for a while... I hope it works like that...

*Fuchur*