Hash, Inc. Forums

Dragon

Eos

Great work!!! ReallyThis is a so cool Dragon Eos, I like a lot the details you added...I´d like to see it in action...I know you are going to participate in the image contest so I think it´s going to be animate, isn´t it?...Greetings... :)

Great dragon!

Can't wait to see it fully textured. Don't forge to put in a translucency map for the viens in the wings! there was a link recently to a photoshop tutorial on different map creation techniques in photoshop. One example had this gorgeous grayscale image for slightly translucent bat wings.

p.s. The origins of the dragon myth have been linked to the skeletal remains of the extinct cave bear.

These bears were HUGE and seemed to spend a tremendous amount of time in large caves. Because of this these gigantic huge fierce looking dragonlike skulls would be found in caves. Piles of them sometimes... along with all the bones of the animals they ate as well.

Since cave bears were extinct, the early discoverers of these skulls would make up fantastical stories about flying beasts that lived in caves.

...these things were HUGE! They were GIGANTIC!

Vernon "!" Zehr

lm4001aa.jpg

Hey I didn't know that! And I thought I knew everything about dragons! I guess you can always learn a new thing every day...

Thanx for the comments!

Finished rigging!

This was a true nightmare! I hope that lots of bones don't make the same trouble as lots of patches, because I certainly put lots of them!

I'm thinking about the pose of my dragon for the Image contest... Looks like I'm going back to the drawing table...

post-7-1109821694.jpg

Ok I haven't drawn anything but I wanted to see how it looked in the flying pose. I made this quick render and I like what I see!

I still don't know what's his pose going to be like, but I think I'll choose to put it on the ground... I didn't spend hours trying to make the wing folding convincible just to put it with open wings at the end... <_<

post-7-1109821986.jpg

uh...whoa...he....la...that....is....

AWESOME

EDIT: It's always good to have a pose like that even if you don't think you'll use it...later you'll be like "Whoa! I forgot I made a pose like that!" Also, you can use part of a pose to help other poses.

This is a preeliminary idea.

I want the dragon to stand on his four legs (majestic, indeed) and roar. I want a migthy pose like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, so right now I'm doing some actions with experiments to see which one is the best.

I also thought of using some kind of volumetric effect in the light, maybe a dusty or cloudy background and little flashes that fall and trespass the wings. I agree on your advice, the flying dragon or dragons could be used in the background.

Tell me what you think of this idea.

post-7-1109908691.jpg

Wow. That really came out cool! High Five :D ! Are you planning on texturing it? I like the pose in that render. It really shows off the model. The only thing would to brighten it up a bit, so you can see the detail put into it more clearly. Great work!

-Robert Lazzarini

Guest Nicholas8681

Yeah looks really nice. I like the concept a lot. Maybe some smoke drifting out of his nostrils and around his body the ground looks charred from a blast he did right before landing.....

Brian

Thanx for all the comments! :D

Lately I've been doing some other things so I haven't started the texturing yet. I continued my pose experiments to see how would it look if it was sort of majestic-but-calmed, like a statue. I quickly made a sitted one and modeled a platform, then I played around in photoshop to add a background. It is now my desktop wallpaper.

I think I'm not going to stress myself with the definitive scene yet, maybe after putting all the textures and materials and playing a little bit with the lights I'll come with the solution.

BTW, I had a problem when I tried to make a radiosity image. I made a choreography with the sitted dragon, no ground and just one rim light. I turned on the radiosity module, put 10,000 photons cast, 1000 in sample area, 100 photon samples, 100% of intensity, 20 max bounces, turned on the caustics, the final gathering and the precompute gathering. I made a few marquee tests and it worked just fine. But then, when I made the final render, It froze. I had to reset the computer and try again. Nothing, it froze again. The strange part was that it also froze when doing the marquee tests. I thought it was because of the choreography, so I started a new one and put the dragon again and it froze!

I haven't been able to make a radiosity image since then. Does anyone knows what happened? It was my first time on doing radiosity, so I really don't know how to do a good one. The only thing I knew was that you use one light, hahaha :unsure:

post-7-1110215576.jpg

there is a very good explain leaded by Yves Poissant about Photon Mapping, that is a rendering technique which can render indirect illumination and caustics, lighting effects generally called radiosity or global illumination, this isn´t resolve your computer crashes but maybe it helps you to understand how it works...

greetings

here the link

http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/Photon-Mapping.htm

Thanx for the advice, I read the whole tutorials and it really helped, although I'm still a rookie on photon mapping and radiosity.

This is an update. I'm doing the mapping for the dragon's face, and right now I'm with the rest of the body. The textures don't match perfectly, but I'm sure the color and the final bump and specularity channels will make a good result.

post-7-1110560507.jpg

Small (well, not that small) update:

I finished the main and bump map, still gotta do some work on the horns, teeth and some other things, but what do you think so far? I'm wondering about the specular size and intensity map. I don't know how to make one that can give a snake-skin sort of look in the dragon's.

Thanx for the comments! :D

post-7-1110787459.jpg

He's looking good! I like the ear, I was just thinking today that I should add something like that to mine. Looks similar to an Iguana's ear which was exactly what I had in mind. BTW I like the rest of the texturing as well. Don't forget to save a backup or two.

do you think you could show us a very short animation of him or her flapping its wings? that might be kind of hard though.

Newbert, I don't plan to make an animated clip of this dragon... yet. But as soon as I finish the image for the Hash contest, I'll do it. I want to see it flying, roaring and crushing innocent people with bursts of fire too. It might be kind of hard but I rigged it to make possible the motion, so expect coming prevs, maybe in another WIP thread.

really would see that Dragon flying! And some fire!

But there is the Pearl?

http://www.dragonperl.com/

And I cannot see St George and the virgin?

http://www.clt.astate.edu/wnarey/Honors%20....%201455-60.jpg

No pearl, sorry. I don't plan to recreate any Chinese or Christian tale with this guy, It's mostly my own and personal perception of a dragon as a majestic and powerful creature; sure, more magical than biological, but a beast in all the sense of the word. When I first thought of it, I imagined how would it behave if it was real. Sure not like a cute little bunny.

that is an awesome lot of textures, did you hand paint them in p shop?

It was Den Deauvais who made the dragons i think.

I painted the textures in photoshop and used a few high quality photographs of reptiles to emulate the scale pattern and some colors and details (like the iguana ear). I'd never done this kind of texture mapping before, so I guess it was a good start. The bump map was done completely by hand and it still hurts. The most difficult part was the wing webs. I did them completely from scratch since I couldn't find a good skin pattern. I recently made a texture just for the wing transparency, so it looks even better now.

My regards to Den Deauvais. Those dragons are veery cool. I wish i can come out with an image like that.

Thanx for all the comments! :D More to come!

Another view.

There's something wrong with the lights. I can't make good shadows and some parts of the dragon don't look good because of the light or bump parameters, i think. By the way, the last image is supposed to have flying dragons in the background, but I haven't put them yet. ;)

post-7-1111623699.jpg

Thanx for all the comments! :P

I noticed the head being lighter than the body, Ken. I think there's a slight difference in the color maps, so i fixed it. I modeled the rock and did a quick texture and bump map using a photograph i found on Internet.

FINISHED!!

After days of hard work and learning, i just finished this afternoon. You can check the final image in the Showcase area. Im very proud of it and i think i can start thinking about the animated dragon now.

Again, thanx for the suggestions, comments and opinions.

Eos