Hash, Inc. Forums

What rig do you use?

adamP

I use the 2001 rig like Mike Fitzgerald, I get rid of the balance stuff. I use quite a bit of what I learned from his Cog (not center of gravity) tutorial, when adding imtermediate bones and setting up constraints.

I am waiting for Anzovin's TSM2 to come to the Mac, but am a bit concerned that it will put in a rig that I can't troubleshoot on my own, since I didn't build it. But I'll still buy it to see.

Jim

I bought TSM2 and it certainly works, but like Jim I'm a bit concerned about using something out of the box I can't troubleshoot. Heck, I have no clue what 's going on to begin with. I just bought Mike's rigging tut (Is that in the mail yet Mike!? :D ) and I'm gonna give it a whirl.

This thread has been enlightening to me. I was feeling I was the only one that didn't use the balance stuff...

I use the hash 2001 rig but i've tweak it so much it looks like a new rig by now. A bunch of constraints, and I avoid using too much smartskinning.

I'm sure TSM is very cool, but I am well trained in rigging by now (there was no TSM before...) and I think training is the best investemt.

BTW, what is sonofpats?

For bipeds I use the Setup Machine 1. For animals I use FK so control bone and nulls aren't necessary, there's no way the back leg can duplicate the range of motion with IF and control bones and the front leg is very limited too. Besides FK give the the added benefit if archs.

David

post-43-1109111195.gif

I don't know how to create my own rig yet, so I've been using Fitz's Cog rig. However, I haven't used it for animation yet, just posing. I used it on a couple of my stills contest entries (the Hairy and Sci-Fi/Fantasy contests from last year).

For the Animation bootcamp, I've used both IK Joe and Basicman, and I think I like Basicman the most so far.

One of the guys on CG-char was talking about his IK/FK combo rig that he uses. I might get around to trying this tonight on a mega simple model I built at lunch.

It's pretty simple in principle. Normal IK with nulls and IK constraint at the end, but then hide the IK bones and put in normal FK bones. When you want FK, constrain null to tip of FK bone, when you do your arc and the hand rests or feet hit the ground, constrain the null to that object (or a ground null.) This way (theoretically) you get IK and FK benefits without having to "switch".

eric

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to use a modified 2001 rig, but I have a couple of questions for it...

1.) The Ik arms and legs are already set up, but to have arms and legs that are not "attached to parent" while still having IK setups, do I need an extra set of arm and leg bones?

2.) How would I set up a heel bone so that I can rotate the heel up or down while the toes remain in place?

3.) Do I need all of the setup relationships (like basic setup, steady, balance, balance rigid, right hand lock, and left hand lock) that are already on the rig?

Thanks