Hash, Inc. Forums

Animation - Good taste.

Hi there. I have rendered out my animation and would like to show it before making some finishing touches and re-rendering.

I already have a list of things that I need to do but I would like to hear about what really sticks out.

Low quality version (not that bad) 4 meg

medium quality version 10meg

Ooops! fixed the med quality link.

Hope you like it

John

Wonderful John, wonderful! - I love the character - very imaginative, clever use of squiggly stuff - the paintings on walls are terrific (yours? I imagine?), playful appropriate color scheme - expressive animation - obviously could tell what was going on without sound - has universal appeal - cute little story, made me smile.

Improvements, maybe...: 1) some of animation is a little floaty, 2) didn't quite understand the implication of the last scene after she faints on floor - (other than we're just viewing her?). 3) Titles go by a tiny bit fast

All in all - It's a winner - thanks for showing

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hi Nancy,

"clever use of squiggly stuff"

He he, funny you should say that, I called her 'squiggle'

"some of animation is a little floaty"

Which motion were you thinking about particularly? There is a lot there that is a bit floaty so I could do with knowing which is the worst.

"I didn't quite understand the implication of the last scene after she faints on floor - (other than we're just viewing her?"

I was going to place that shot after some credits - maybe it would work better then? The idea is that she looks dazed and confused. I am thinking of also having her wake up and start dancing wildly around the room.

"Titles go by a tiny bit fast"

Yes, I will fix that.

Hi Tony,

"I feel funny commenting on someones animation when I cant animate yet but..."

You have a lifetimes experience of watching people move so anything you pick up on is welcome.

Which motion were you thinking about particularly? There is a lot there that is a bit floaty so I could do with knowing which is the worst.

I was going to place that shot after some credits - maybe it would work better then? The idea is that she looks dazed and confused. I am thinking of also having her wake up and start dancing wildly around the room.

It's hard for me to suggest fixes on the "floaty" as I tend to have lots of that in my animations, & have been criticized for "lack of snap". There are so many more qualified animators than me, who could analyze it and suggest where snap might be appropriate (if at all - since that is a style - a pixar? style - and this is an individualized piece) - I hate to see everything look the same - (think anime) & love when someone does their own style.

I'm conflicted in that the character lends herself to being "dangly" in the way that she's constructed - but in one of the shots (where she is looking up at the 1st painting and walking away) - her arms are moving mushy - (again maybe thats the way she's supposed to move?) - also when she's looking at the gray painting & turning towards camera - motion is a bit wobbly mush again - BUT the running after shot is fantastic!, along with the slip -great!

Also forgot to add - love the camera work - great angles

As for the last shot - maybe you could zoom in (real fast) with the camera from the previous shot, when she's lying on the floor - and swing around to her face from above - and have the credits rolling inside her black pupils - and zoom up close to the pupils -

love the lighting as well - tho something funny with the lighting happens in the scene where she falls to the ground.

This has been hard to describe without showing - so hope I comunicated ok

Hi John,

I knew Nancy would love this as soon as I saw it :)

Very nice movie and great character design. My only suggestions would be

When she sees the painting she likes, I think that pose could be stronger and maybe add a little anticipation. Like maybe her her eyes locking onto the painting or something.

The other thing when is when she takes off running I think it would be hilarious to see her feet coming way off the ground in back of her like she is slipping on that slippery floor.

• Hash Fellow

I think this is a successful short as is. I can easily imagine seeing this on some festivals I've been to. Short and snappy is always good.

Personally, I'm still not sold on the second camera angle (the one looking at her left side). It's quite awkward in the context of the whole movie. But probably too late to reblock your opening.

Floaty bit: Her pivot at 00:36-00:37 is more of a slide in place than an actual step and turn.

But I like this! The character reminds me very much of an "Artist" I know, so your character animation must be working well over-all to bring up such a specific association.

Very good! I like your style of animation. It looks like some kind of modernistic punk.

But If I am allowed to be a bit critical not only saying everything is fantastic? What is your point? What are you trying to communicate?

I tried to answer that question myself on this forum to try to understand what you are trying to say - trying to help you communicate your message. Because I believe their is something missing in your animation. Most people will miss your point as I can understand it. But I am not allowed to analyse your work someone is censoring my analysis! I am not allowed to trying to point out your point.

So if you can explain yourself what you are trying to communicate with your movie - what your message is? - perhaps I will be able to help you...

I think it is great! Great story.. great concept...

On that note however I will indulge in "constructive criticism" which you can have for free! Today only!

Only two things...

1) the grey painting... I got it... but... For a moment I wasn't sure if you had maybe planned to add another painting decal... or ... if it didn't render properly... obviously this would only be imagined by someone familiar with 3D stuff.

A suggestion... Instead of just a flat gray... make it look flat gray.. but have some brush textures... hard to explain... if you took flat gray paint... over a period of days or weeks... and "painted" a totally blank painting... it would have characteristics of a painting... maybe just ever so slightly "lighter" feathering around the edges... or brush stroke darks and lights... very very subtle but it would give a stronger clue it was intentional and not something "missing".

2) Last scene...

I mentioned this before... kick me for bringing it up again... but...

I would like to see a cross fade... from the painting to the face or visa versa... something NOT subtle... a blatant one for one cross fade that shows exactly how the painting looks like the character.

This is just my humble opinion! You almost got it at the end but the painting was in a wide shot and there was a cut to the close up/fade in of the unconcious character...

These two things are minor. I tend to watch it as a whole and don't really notice any "funny" floating animation. If the story and idea was total crap I would probably notice that stuff more. Sort of like only seeing mistakes in Toy Story after watching it 50 bazillion times. Too caught up in the story to notice.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Yes heyvern has told you - in his second statement - what I tried to tell you before - but not really - but nearly - he has told you what I tried to tell you - but what you perhaps never got the chance to read?!.,

I want some re-action from the paintings surrounding her - in her last act - to die.

But what kind of re-action - and why? Why must she die?

I want to hear your own explanation Mr Keates!

And I want to hear what everyone else believes in this question to figure out what you have succeeded in communicating. Why is she loosing her life? Tell your own opinion to Mr Keates and perhaps he will understand what you understands and not of his intentions.

I think I understand your point - and if I am correct - you have not communicated it in the best of ways!

Why have you killed her, Mr Keates? :D:D:D:D:D

What has she done wrong? What is your motivation of killing her?

Let´s hear! And let´s hear everyone else opinion!

:huh::huh::huh:

Why have you killed her, Mr Keates? :D:D:D:D:D

What has she done wrong? What is your motivation of killing her?

Let´s hear! And let´s hear everyone else opinion!

:huh::huh::huh:

Yeah Squiggles have rights too! Let her live! Let her live! At least show a doctor coming in and resusitating her! ;):D

Nice "artsey" animation.

...Yes heyvern has told you - in his second statement - what I tried to tell you before - but not really - but nearly - he has told you what I tried to tell you...

...uh... I did?

I didn't think I did... did I really say that?

John... I didn't mean that. I really didn't.

In my Happy Bear childrens story I kill a rabbit... natural causes of course... ;)

p.s. I know your character only feinted of course.

MM, you seriously misinterpreted my post... somehow...

Vernon "Oh boy..." Zehr

John -

Wonderful job. I like the new ending with the close up of the star.

The only thing that I might change is to frame her reaction to the grey painting more. With the angle as it is I didn't pick up that she was looking at the grey painting very well. You now have one camera angle to handle both paintings. Perhaps a shot of her from behind looking at the grey one? Maybe it's just me.

I really appreciate the design of this one. Very unique.

Doug

p.s. I know your character only feinted of course.

MM, you seriously misinterpreted my post... somehow...

My point was not fainted or dead... by refering to your second statement Mr Zehr..... You COMPLETLY missunderstood me... but it does not matter..... you are so nice giving me a reply, thanks!

What I was trying to say was that the end perhaps can be a little more elaborated just as you tried to express in your second statement.

one cross fade that shows exactly how the painting looks like the character

Why will she faint or die of seeing herself? And if you try to answer that question perhaps you have to show it a little more so everybody gets the point.

How can Good Taste make this tragedy happen to her?

:unsure:

I believe most of us misses what Mr Keates tries to tell us....

post-7-1109081195.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. There are too many for me to answer individually withouth feeling like I am leaving someone out or writing an over-sized post but I will see what I can do.

Mr MM,

Are you really getting sensored here? Seems odd! I wonder what you said.

It wasn't my intention for her to die. She is supposed to just faint a little. The reason she feints is that she is in ecstacy because she found the perfect painting - for her. I plan to add a scene where she wakes up and starts dancing about so don't worry too much about her.

The idea is that the painting looks like her but she doesn't think of it as being a picture of her. It is stylised in the same way that she is and that is why she likes it. She likes what she knows and rejects everything else. Maybe I could improve the painting to get this across better but most people seem to get it as it is.

One reason why she looks dead in the last shot is that I wanted to get it rendered quickly so it is just a view of a pre-rendered layer. When I re-render the thing I may have her breathing or whatever so she doesn't look dead. I thought that I could make her look less dead by closing her eyes but then she would no longer look like the painting.

I agree with the cross fade thing. At the very least it would be a good experience to try it.

I will work on the grey painting. Actually, I had originally just forgotten to put an image there and then someone said "nice gag about the blank painting" so I thought I would keep it in. I probably would have made more of a play of it if it were planned from the beginning.

Oh yeah, the story is inspired a little by the fact that there was once an oficially recognised mental state with a fancy name which would happen to people who saw a masterpiece. There are reports of people feinting at the sight of a painting. This seems odd to us now but you have to remember that people wern't bombarded with images like we are. Some people would travel on a donkey for months to see a painting in another country or city. Obviusly my animation is set in a more modern time but there are people who have some very strong and one sided views on art and squggle, bless her, is one of them.

I am fairly confident that the basic jist of the animation is clear to most people.

Well, I had a lot of thoughts that were taken away by Mr Poissant but they are gone now! And Mr Poissant is a nice guy I know. He only wants us to follow some rules...

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

I can write them down again, but the thing that perhaps got Mr Poissant to censor me was my analyse of why she feinted - there is an old story - I belive most of you have heard about it - it is about a guy who got killed because he rejects his brothers wife and being only interested in himself .... some resemblance here...

She likes what she knows and rejects everything else.

And this guy did not like to love someone else. He was only interested in pleasing himself.

I plan to add a scene where she wakes up and starts dancing about so don't worry too much about her.

And it was about having one sided views - I wrote - falling in love with your own views.

but there are people who have some very strong and one sided views on art and squggle, bless her, is one of them

And I concluded if I was right - you have in some way to express it more - perhaps showing not only how she rejects the paintings - but how she is in love with her own image of herself - fingering on different parts - trying to stylish her hair, trying to get her clothes behave in som manner... showing that she does not care not only for the other paintings but perhaps she does not care for other people... not for men.... a little sex will always make the public look with a little more interest...

And I gave you an adress to you to study to communicate this hidden message - sure I think you have to hide it - but a little more showing can get the message little better into the unconcious of the public...

Here is the adress:

http://www.answers.com/topic/masturbation

And you can read:

The word onanism was formerly used as a synonym because it was linked to a Biblical story (Genesis 38:7-9) in which a man called Onan "spilled his seed upon the ground" to avoid impregnating his dead brother's wife (see levirate marriage) and, because "the thing which he did displeased the Lord", Onan was killed.

And there are some more topics of interest:

Masturbation among human females

Humor and masturbation

And I wrote perhaps I have missinterpreted the whole thing. Perhaps I am totally out of topic, if so skip my comments....

or perhaps this will try to change the end a bit.... letting the paintings re-act to her act of feinting... perhaps smiling to her.... having learnt her a lesson...

OK! I hope this will not be censored.... I believe we are grown-ups.... living in the 21st century.... having the right to discuss issuses of interest, deciding for ourselves what can have relevance....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And not only Onan you can think of - you have the one rejecting others - and being punished for this - being killed not only feinting -. by gettng him to fall in love with his own picture in Greek mythology - the one punished in this way were called Narcissus

www.mordogan.bel.tr/english/enghistory.html

According to the legend, the young Narcissus was the son of Nana, the goddess of the Rivers. His beauty was so perfect that even Zeus was told to be interested by the young adolescent. But the young Narcissus didn’t pay any attention to the young girls and boys falling in love with him and led a careless life hunting in the hills of Mimas. Echo, one of the Mountain Nymph’s and daughter of Zeus, fell in love with the young boy. But Narcissus didn’t respond to her love and Echo finally died from her disappointed  love. The death of Echo caused great anger with the goddess Nemesis who decided to punish Narcissus by havşng him falling in love with his own picture he saw in a well. On his turn young Narcissus desperately falls in love with his own image and starves to death. On the spot where Narcissus died, Flora, the goddess of nature, made narcissus flowers grow.

PS.

This red mistake-tick you have then showing the word Good Taste in the beginning- I do not agree with

And why crossing over your own name with red? I think this can give some unintended impression.

post-7-1109086802.jpg

I will work on the grey painting. Actually, I had originally just forgotten to put an image there and then someone said "nice gag about the blank painting"

I loved the grey painting bit - I thought it was really clever - I mean - how many times have I been to a gallery and there's a 1 color painting? (usually red) - I thought the gag was a parody of a cliche...

I will work on the grey painting.  Actually, I had originally just forgotten to put an image there and then someone said "nice gag about the blank painting"

I loved the grey painting bit - I thought it was really clever - I mean - how many times have I been to a gallery and there's a 1 color painting? (usually red) - I thought the gag was a parody of a cliche...

Yeah, I don't know how many times I have seen a blank painting with a note by its side saying how clever it is. Sometimes I think that it is a game that art dealers play - how much can they take the piss. Often the artists themselves doesn't get what the fuss is about but if it sells, it sells.

Mr MM,

I think there is a bit of a culture clash here. It is interesting to see you read all this into the animation but it really isn't supposed to be all that deep. Just a little character peice and a dig at contemporary art.

Mr MM,

I think there is a bit of a culture clash here. It is interesting to see you read all this into the animation but it really isn't supposed to be all that deep. Just a little character peice and a dig at contemporary art.

Thanks for your reply Mr Keates!

Well you say temporary art - to me it more seems like art from the beginning of the 20th century but for sure that kind of art has a lot of influence still.

This grey painting everyone talks so much about gets me to think about Malevitch:

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/malevich_kasimir.html

I believe he was a serious man - but it can be hard to try to be serious, most people do not want to be that serious... perhaps you can in the same time be both serious and ordinary... liking a good cup of tea.... in silence... having a chat with your friends...

Here is his painting I am thinking of - perhaps something for your gallery!

post-7-1109093866.jpg

:P

Modeling a "cigar just being a cigar" seems to me to be a bit limited - just realism.

Animating a "cigar just being a cigar" cannot be very funny.

And showing an animated "cigar being just a cigar" cannot draw such a large audience.

And in this case with a female actress there is an other quote perhaps more adequate:

http://www.geocities.com/jiji_muge/isarose.html

"A rose is a rose is a rose"

Gertrud Stein on contemporay art

Perhaps not realizing this is perhaps why the art lady gets out counted of pleasing herself with her own self-image in a such an overwhelming format - filling up all her field of vison obscuring all other views. So Mr Keates why not let the painting of the bull give her a smile of revenge then she falls back on her back stretching out her arms and perhaps legs wide-spread. This bull probably having a capacity so totally overlooked of the lady of Good Taste. And the grey painting just being grey can also give her a smile like all the other paintings in their own right to express themselves and being expected to being looked upon.

Hope I have not giving you more headache Mr Thom! And if so I can give you a good remedy I am using myself - just sit down on your bottom twenty minutes or more and let you be breathed - meditating - so to say. Trying to answer the question: Who is the breather?

:D

http://health-fitness-center.com/

post-7-1109154825.jpg

Oh yeah, ChrisThom,

The lettering effect was done in painter 9. It was quite easy really, just buy painter, use a Wacom graphics tabelet, select 'impasto' and away you go.

I used the demo of painter to make the art in the animation. Be carefull doing this as, after the 30 day trial you will find yourself buying it. It was money that I didn't have.

Bloody good program though.

Thanks for your reply Mr Keates!

Well the drug you were talking about is called a No-drug-to-Yes-Perhaps!

Just a tips!

And Painter is a really good program. I agree.

And another tips!

There is a program called Real Draw Pro. You can download it here:

http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/

And it is really, really good. Just look on how they have made 3D out of 2D pictures just with some lamps - lightning a vector image. And it is a bitmap program too - not only vector.

Have a try on it... There are a lot of possibilities. And you can find some good tutorials.

It is a little different because it have new possibilities you do not find in other programs.

And it is shareware!!!! And if you want to pay it is not so many bucks!

Hope your Good Taste animation are turning out good - hope I have helped you in some way - perhaps through realizing what not to do?!.,

Your animation have inspired me to think out some kind of the same

but with a handicapped man in a wheel chair in an art gallery

with contemporary art paintings resembling different currencies hanging on the walls - a dollar painting beside a yen painting beside a euro painting beside a yuan beside...

Well it is not so sexy - it has a little more connection to contemporary society.

What do you say about my idea? Animated social realism.

With a society where both men and women are reduced to their money value.... with their human values taken down to....deflated to some low level.... below the navel... just to shit... I must say I am a bit worried about the things taken place here and now in our world. In our contemporary art gallery!?., With some central bank painters trying to do contemporary art.... on paper.... not much calories in papers... perhaps you can pop them in oil... making pop-art... to get something for your stomach...

And the plot in "my" story is about the same as yours - a little hijacking of your show... hope you don´t mind...

If you like to read something postmodern about shows you can have a look on:

http://www.threemonkeysonline.com/threemon...e_spectacle.htm

http://library.nothingness.org/articles/SI/en/pub_contents/4

Guy Debord and the Society of the Spectacle.

“Everything that was directly lived has moved away into a representation”.

Perhaps something for your animation and your mockery with "contemporary" art.

Back to my animation thoughts inspired by your virtual one. It is a little easier to animate wheel-chairs perhaps making the man so little you cannot see him.. I am not so good on animation as you are - just a newbie.

And the plot goes on - the wheel-chair man also falling in love with one of the paintings... reaching a really hypnotized, orgasmic level -. and the result - the same as your ladys - feinting away or passing away.... I have not decided yet upon that question... will have a look on the stock index first....

:D:(:blink:;):P:unsure:

post-7-1109166922.jpg

The lettering effect was done in painter 9. It was quite easy really, just buy painter,  It was money that I didn't have. Bloody good program though.

John Keates  Posted on Feb 23 2005, 04:09 AM

:wub:

As an alternative to Painter from Corel

Real Draw Pro is worth testing:

http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/

It is both vector and bitmap - shareware - but only for Windos.

:ph34r:

Expression 3 is another alternative to test. It is free! It is from Microsoft - but it is both for Windos and Mac:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

Hope you saw my pun - WinDos

http://www.pldos.pl/windos/windos.htm

Hi John,

The style of this animation is very appealing. Nice job!

A couple of things caught my eye.

1. The introduction was overpowering and detracted from the main feature with the number of different colors used, speed of switching, and odd shapes. I think an understated, simple intro would work better... something that relates to the story.

As a suggestion, you could fade in to your initial shot of the wall with the paintings on it and fade in your title and name on the open wall above the paintings. Then fade the title out and have your character enter to begin the animation.

2. What jumped out at me immediately regarding the animation was the lack of pauses, where the character stands still for a length of time. The pause at the first painting is pretty good, but after that there is nearly constant motion. I think you would convey intended emotions better with longer pauses. I also agree with the "floaty" comments already noted.

Your camera work is very nice.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mark,

I like your title fading suggestion. This was my first time putting titles into the animation and I rushed it a little. I am planning on holding the shot at the beginning for a while with the sound of squiggle walking down the corridor. I could combine the title with this first shot in the way that you suggest.

It is pretty tough getting animaitons finished. I almost feel like completely re-doing some parts of the animation now.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. I am sure it will be good.

It is pretty tough getting animaitons finished. I almost feel like completely re-doing some parts of the animation now.

Let´s hear your animation soon. I really long for hearing it - listening to the woman of Good Taste and the gallery of Good Taste and the paintings of Good Taste. What are they saying? How do they sound?

It is really the thing most missing in this version!

I must say I relly think you have got the room good - the gallery - the art hall - it really looks as art halls - those religious places substituting religion for the ones loosing the faith in "the one word" - God, Allah, Dieux, Jumala, Jehova, Jahve, Elohim, Ahura, Mazda, E=Mc2, Volvo, Hickup, ... - the gate to going behind the words by sitting down on your bottom - sometimes called the ass - listening to yourself - to loose yourself - to discover that you are breathed - to discover you are breathing - your breathed I is breahting your self. A art hall more lofty than most other art halls. Sure - that sounds good?!., You do not have to believe in it - just do it!

So let us hear some sounds - art halls of that dimension must have some echo!

Let´s hear some words uttered of this woman so utterly decieving herself - being decieved of the ones selling her the substitutes - currency paper - hanging on the walls. Perhaps she will sit up after lieing down - feinted/passed away - having found something - reborn -having found it in Her Self - shouting the One word - her own One word - trying to glue it on something - a bulls name glued to the painting of the bull? Making her to a producer - not only to a consumer - perhaps a little creator in her first attempt to glue her own one word to the world expressing her own impression of Oneness. It can be funny and sad in the same time... Sure it is your story Mr Keates not mine - I have only tried to do a little dusting...

Just some links of inspiration for You - your I:

Dusting Spiral Galaxies

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980116.html

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14801816/

http://www.netidentity.com/jumpPage.asp?mp...=bull.org&ef=NA

http://www.primalworks.com/primalzen2.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/C.../chinchar2.html

Recipient of DaimlerChrysler "Design Excellence Award" at SEMA 2001

The new individual church? there is good ground for parties with your friends in the surroundings... sure a big art hall there to see... wiht some sounds... birds singing?!.,

http://www.loftyshelters.com/

post-7-1109332278.jpg

The word onanism was formerly used as a synonym because it was linked to a Biblical story (Genesis 38:7-9) in which a man called Onan "spilled his seed upon the ground" to avoid impregnating his dead brother's wife (see levirate marriage) and, because "the thing which he did displeased the Lord", Onan was killed.

Lately, I noticed that every time I read in this forum GOD goes on a killing spree :( I don't think I can handle the pressure of animation. Who are we to decide who's time it is!? :blink:

John,

At the risk of just repeating my comments at the London Users meeting - wooo hooo!

I'm especially impressed by your ingenuity in creating that "dazed" double image effect in the final shot. Talk about using an imperfection as an asset! There's also some really nice animation in there. Oh, and your paintings are inspirational too. What's going on Jon, are you a polymath or something?