Hash, Inc. Forums

Car WIP (McLaren)

agep

Just started modelling the McLaren, and have a long way to go :D I also seems to have some problems with the porcelain material (It don't like the 5p patch), is there a solution for that? Any commets?

mclaren.jpg

Speaking as someone whos is working on a car (and not one totally real) - yeah welcome to tweaksville! Also, be careful about saving and versioning, your patch count is going to get HIGH.

Tweaking in the manner of just getting smooth surfaces, making normals flip the right way, fixing bad CP intersections...

Looks good so far though, I'll be interested to see how it progresses. I had a lot of consternation around the wheelwells myself.

Tom

For realistic car modeling, you have to model the car how it would be built, as in seperate plates.

I'm planning to do that. Want to get the overall shape of the body first, then I'll detach the plates. Here is an new update (the material is just for testing)

mclarenWIP2.jpg

Very good so far! I'm very aggravated that yours is so much better than mine. I am now telepathically sending a virus to your PC

::mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm::

So there!

In all seriousness, how will you build in the wheelwell - separate piece?

I am now telepathically sending a virus to your PC

::mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm::

The virus bounces back from my thick skull that is in front of my pc :P

In all seriousness, how will you build in the wheelwell - separate piece?
Actually I don't know. I do every thing step by step, not knowing what sort of obstacles I might encounter

Not to shabby! And I mean that with great respect!

You've gotten really far considering you are doing it in one piece. I see some dimpling here and there. You could probably get rid of that by modelling it in pieces.

Modelling the panels seperate allows you to only use the splines you need. Add more when you need them and take them away when you don't. Right now you're carrying to many splines all the way back along the body. This makes it allot harder to make a smooth surface.

You're doing great though. Go man Go!

C

Stian you are a man with WAY too much time on your hands. B) Very nice. I have not tried my hand at mechanical modeling yet--as I find it supremely more difficult than organics. So I know this is a tasking progression. Love the build movie--that was really having too much time on your hands. However, incorporate that then fade to the finished model, then spin it, and zoom off and that would be a fun little thing. Again, good job and much respect.

J

Stian you are a man with WAY too much time on your hands.

I.... just... cant... put... A:M... away.. :P

Thanks for the great comments :D

Here is a wireframe on the car.. remember I'm not finished with reducing splines, so the is a splinemess...

wire.jpg

They look like regular hinges to me so...if you have your angle right you should only need one bone for the entire door.

Start the bone at the body where hinge actually rotates and put it in the angle that the actually hinge would be. Assign the entire door to the hinge and it should give the illusion of there being two hinges.

Or--the hard way--but a man with your time B) this shouldn't be difficult.

Start the bone at the mirror on the top part of the hinge. End the bone at the top hinge (the side near the windshield). Point the roll handle away from the car, assign all cps to the bone. Then just rotate on Z to open and close the door.

J

hope that made sense

edit: added image just in case.

post-7-1109542247.jpg

Arrrgh! it's awesome! :D I refuse to race your car with mine :P I know yer just playing with the materials so far, but the metal looks like shiny plastic. Take a look at Colins base metal material in the materials laboratory project file at

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12486

I used it to make the silver on my gauges on the dog car and it worked real nice.

That looks great. Try moving the camera down a little bit so the car doesn't look like a toy (it's not bad right now, it could just be a little better). With a little bit of the gear underneath, so you can see the other tires through the cracks and a good scene and good lighting that will look really awesome.

Zack