Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

BMW 3 SERIES

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The modelling is awesome so far, but why do you have those hooks in the windshield? Why are those necessary?
Zaryin, this windshield has some bends that I can only get to work right if I add those extra splines. Control points allow me to do what gamma and alphas can't, in this case, this beemer is gamma & alpha'd to the max.

I think it would be a great addition to the free models page *hint hint*

HashJT, I'd be more than happy to donate it to the hash model bank.

Thanks for everyones comments....

post-7-1066860463.jpg

Man that's great stuff!

If I may, 2 questions:

1. did you model half of the car and then copy/flip/attach?

2. Ihave always struggled with alphas, can you point out somewhere on the model that you have tweaked them?

once again, nice job! very smooth!

Rob

did you model half of the car and then copy/flip/attach?

Yip, I know it's premature to do a c/f/a midway through but I like to see what the model's looking like from time to time. After I'm satisfied with both halves I delete one side and continue building.

Ihave always struggled with alphas, can you point out somewhere on the model that you have tweaked them?

I'm no expert on alphas myself but the alpha, gamma & magnitude all change the bias of the spline. The Gamma & Alpha sort of bend the spline to make it curve inward, outward, or left & right. This is good because in certain situations, adjusting the gamma or alpha saves you from having to add more cp's to make that spline bend the way you want it to.

In the attachment, I adjusted the Gamma to make the spline bend smoothly into the fender.

Adjusting the "magnitude" sort of stretches the spline at the control point.

Foolin' around with the G/A's is cool for mechanical modeling, but you have to be careful about where you use G/A's on human characters. When you go to create phonemes and you start re-arranging cp's, they have a tendency to shift based on their new position in the phoneme set.

post-7-1066874059.jpg

Looking at that back area, I am seeing a few places where a hook would work well. Is there a reason why you are avoiding this?

Hey John, no I'm sure there's several areas where a hook would do justice and I think I've tried them all. To tell you the truth, I've had sort of a tough time modeling the rear of this puppy and it's not all together as smooth as I'd like to be.

In some areas where I tried adding a hook, the spline would bend as though I over-adjusted the gamma or something, that just didn't work out too well so I was forced to create a full length spline to get it to work right. For example, if you look at the top of the trunk area, there are several splines running parallel together in the center. I had to keep those splines there to get the proper bend at the edge of the trunk and so that it wouldn't interfere with splines along the back of the trunk.

Dude!!! This car is awesome. I'm sure everyone else is enjoying your posts as much as I am. I like seeing the progress you are making on this. Thanks for posting updates as you go along.

I think this thread should be saved for future reference for anyone wanting to model a car. :)

Can't wait to see it moving down the road. B)

Well you are certainly doing about as well as could be expected anyway. Sterling job!

One thing that might help is another spline at the top of the boot near the back edge. You see where you have all those splines running up towards the rear window? they could do with another spline to hook onto before going all the way up. Just a little suggestion. I am sure that you don't need it though. My mechanical modelling sucks compared to this. Can't wait to see more.

Very impressive. Your modeling is top notch. Quick question(s). In your quarter panel image, I noticed a small indent/crease, to the left and under the area of the license plate. How does this look rendered? Also, near the left side of the trunk, looks like you have several hooks. Did you consider maybe bringing them to the end of the trunk opening and terminate them there? Overall, really fanatstic modeling! I can't wait to see it fully rendered!!

Thnx Mega. There are tons of bumps & dings in this model, I'm just not very patient at pushing points as some modelers are I guess. I try and get all of the surfaces to be as smooth as I can get them but hey...

Here's a first render inside a choreography for all you folks that have been keeping up with me.

post-7-1067307493.jpg

My compliments on a fine example of spline wrangling.

Some comments & questions with reference to the attached image:

Exhibit A - Dead end splines usually cause creases. Any reason for this arrangement?

Exhibit B - It appears to me that this spline can be deleted without seriously affecting the surface shape. Any reason for its presence?

Exhibit C - In my v8.5 models, 5 pointers such as this tend to cause problems. Is the version you're using more tolerant or have you applied porcelain.mat?

Exhibit D - Is this prime candidate for bias tweaking a 4 or 5 pointer?

BMW_00.jpg

Hey Rodger,

Exhibit A:

Yeah, A. “IS” a dead-end spline and does cause a crease in the model, so that's not good.

In the attachment, you see how the quarter looked prior to it's current update, this is the preliminary structural setup I do to get the overall shape of the part the way I need it to be before I go in and add details. (This way, I feel, is better than just blindly extruding.)

Since the rear half of the panel is the toughest to sculpt, I decided to tackle that first. Look at how both sides of the quarter panel have relatively the same appearance structurally. There is a, "dead-end-spline" on the bumper side of the wheel well also and has been removed in the update.

To sum Exhibit A up... “I didn't get to that side yet.”

Exhibit B:

Basically, from the opening of the wheel well starts a “5-point-patch.” Had I not added the spline in question, it would have been an even larger 5-point-pain… I mean patch. So I added the spline to reduce the amount of creasing associated with 5 pointers but couldn’t hook it on to the following spline because of another hook running perpendicular. (See image) I had to take it all the way past that hook to where it is now before it decided to act right. But it’s fundamental purpose is to reduce the size of that 5-point-patch.

Exhibit C:

This isn’t a problem, I’m using vr.10 and I’m not sure if that helps (probably not) but it looks smooth and doesn’t show any signs of creasing.

Exhibit D:

You know I'm not sure about D. I can smooth it out so that it has a bit more curvature and form to it but when I rendered it in a choreography, it didn’t really strike me as a major flaw. I may go back & fiddle with it later.

post-7-1067359053.jpg

...I...get the overall shape of the part...before I go in and add details. (This way, I feel, is better than just blindly extruding.)
Hear, hear!

...it would have been an even larger 5-point-pain… I mean patch.

:lol: I feel your pain. But everytime I begin cursing 5 pointers, all I have to do to calm myself is to remember modeling in those previous versions that didn't have them.

Really nice looking model!

What approach do you take when making a model like this? Do you begin with the basic outline and then the various openings such as doors, windows wheel wells, etc.? Can you outline the modeling steps you went through on this one?

Gary

everytime I begin cursing 5 pointers, all I have to do to calm myself is to remember modeling in those previous versions that didn't have them
Well it's a good thing they developed the 5/P/P otherwise, I'd drill a hole through the edge of the cd and hang it on my rear view mirror. Just now that we have it, I sure wish Hash would improve it.

What approach do you take when making a model like this? Do you begin with the basic outline and then the various openings such as doors, windows wheel wells, etc.?

That's exactly what I do... I trace the outline of the vehicle first, (both front & side views) then I begin tracing the sub-items like fender(s) and hood area. I was thinking about doing a quick tutorial by building a small car but I'm so dissatified with this BMW that I'm thinking about scraping it. Looks like it's been through a virtual hail storm.

I haven't posted any updates because of this...

• 9 months later...
I wonder if boolean will work on certain area
Yeah, I suppose it could be accomplished with a nice look, the only problem you'd have is exporting the completed model into other apps.

Where is the finished BMW?

I uploaded it to my website which I have since shutdown... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys! I've stopped building on that BMW and I've placed it on my website for download if you folks would like to see what you can do with it. Thanks again for your comments... :)

Nerrazzi,

You've built a very nice car model. You're a good modeler. I remember your superhero which was built like a car and I like the way you approach modeling.

Too bad you shutdown your web site.

thanks Yves, yeah I removed my website a while back, didn't really care for that particular webhost... I would post the model here for anyone to download but I don't think it would work and it's probably against the rules anyhow.... i wouldn't know i never read the rules anyway B)

if anybody wants to poke around with that BMW, email me and i'll try and get it out to you...