Hash, Inc. Forums

HELP! IM STUCK!

paulmcg1

Ok, I am completely lost when it comes to rigging. I modelled a really cool character, textured him but then when it comes to rigging. Forget about it. I spent 6 hours copying Shaggys rig onto my character then doing the relationship manually and man did I waste that 6 hours.

At the end of the 6 hours when I went to test to see if he worked. I moved the pelvis down and it moved the entire model! :( The feet wouldnt stay on the ground! What is that! I would try to do a walk cycle and man I dont even want to tell you what it looked like.

I dont know what I should do to rig like Raf Anozvin, I watched some of his tapes on rigging but I didnt understand all of it and how I could apply it to my character. I would buy the setup machine but I dont got any money :o and I been trying to rig my character who im dying to rig so I can actually bring him to life but I cant. :( . Ahh what should I do?

How can I learn to rig real well? Like Raf B) ....well like anyone who knows how to setup a simple yet flexible system.

AHHH PLEASSE HELP PEOPLES! :ph34r:

Paul :unsure:

Your rig should fit the model, not the other way around.

Just from the image and looking at the nulls, it looks like some stuff is just out of place.

Trying to learn rigging from putting a full model together is a bit of a steep jump.

I started by trying to rig an arm model. Once I understood, I moved onto a leg model.

Then I followed some instructional stuff and then applied that to a full character.

I think what you should do, is just start off by putting in basic bones that fit the character perfectly.

Then add the IK stuff of the Hash 2001 rig.

Do you have the Hash documentation on it?

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Hi Paul;

Your doing exactly what I did (and still do). Your setting your short term goals way too high. Raf, who may or may not be one of those rare cases of born genius, has been working with rigging for many years. Wanting to be able to rig like him is a fantastic goal but it is not a short term goal. You need (Well... I don't really know you but I know me and maybe your a bit like me) to set goals for yourself that you actually have a reasonable chance of hitting in just a couple of days. Fitz is another Master Rigger. His post (just up one or two entries) may give you some ideas for short term goals on your way to achieveing your long term goal.

Keep at it. You'll get there.

I would like to re-iterate the message that you will get there if you keep trying. There are a lot of eureka moments in rigging and you will start to see how it works.

One of the most important things (in my view) is hiarachy. It sounds to me like the foot nulls are children of the pelvis and this is why they move with it. If you want the feet to stay still then the nulls should be at the root of the hiarachy.

With a character such as yours, a simple rig should suffice (depending on what you want him to do).

Good luck!

Oh, another thing is that it is a good idea to do some animating with an existing character before you start making rigs so you know what kinds of things the rig should be doing.

It is a slow process. A little animating - a little modelling - a little rigging. You kind of have to know one to know the others. Just keep going round the cycle and you will get better with time as the big picture comes into view.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Paul, I wasn't born knowing how to rig. (No born geniuses here, unfortunately). I spent something like six months playing with rigs before I really figured it out. The real difference is that, unlike most people, I LIKE rigging, so I was willing to spend a lot of time on it.

The best advice I can give you is to have patience. Rigging up a character from scratch in six hours when you've never done it before would be a feat indeed. Even people very experienced in rigging often take a couple of days, at least. It will take you more time then that to get the hang of it.

Everyone's advice here is good: start with something simple--maybe just put the bones in and leave them alone for eveything but the legs, which should have Kinematic constraints for IK. This won't be a particularly elegent rig, but it will be usable. And you can build up from there.

--Raf

3dArtz: "I think what you should do, is just start off by putting in basic bones that fit the character perfectly.

Then add the IK stuff of the Hash 2001 rig.

Do you have the Hash documentation on it?"

I have added basic bones, it animated fairly ok, but the rig wasnt too great to where I could get the motion that I wanted. (In English, It wasnt easy to animate with.) I didn't add any IK stuff from the Hash 2001 rig but I may try that to see if that fixes some stuff. I do have the Hash documentation on rigging.

wwoelbel: "You need (Well... I don't really know you but I know me and maybe your a bit like me) to set goals for yourself that you actually have a reasonable chance of hitting in just a couple of days."

Will try :rolleyes: . :D .

John Keates: "With a character such as yours, a simple rig should suffice (depending on what you want him to do)."

Well I definately dont want him to have motion like a robot :).

"Oh, another thing is that it is a good idea to do some animating with an existing character before you start making rigs so you know what kinds of things the rig should be doing.

It is a slow process. A little animating - a little modelling - a little rigging. You kind of have to know one to know the others. Just keep going round the cycle and you will get better with time as the big picture comes into view. "

Well I have been animating existing characters since if I didn't I would have gotten bored along time ago. I done at least a little of everything really. I suck at rigging plain and simple and if I cant do that well, well....I can only do still images and isnt this program called "Animation" Master. I bought it to animate basically lol. But I'll keep going round in the cycle like you said :)

Raf Anzovin: Ok good you wherent born knowing how to rig <_< . Wow never heard of someone who LIKES rigging, and I guess thats why you are a master at it :). Although I dont like rigging (and never will) I will have patience like you said. I have rigged characters before but I got so tired of how crappy the rig was I threw away the entire character since I couldn't rig it correctly. I guess I'll "have" to do the simple stuff before I can move onto the advanced stuff *starts moping* lol.

"maybe just put the bones in and leave them alone for eveything but the legs, which should have Kinematic constraints for IK. This won't be a particularly elegent rig, but it will be usable. And you can build up from there."

What do you mean by having kinematic constrains for IK on the legs? Couldnt I just like attach the leg bones to their parents and turn off LOCK IK. Or do I gotta use a IK Constraint?

Thanks so much everyone for the replies, I appreciate them all. (dreams of one day rigging like raf) now to start the simple rig :) talk to you all later and I'll post the results of the simple rig so you can see.

What do you mean by having kinematic constrains for IK on the legs? Couldnt I just like attach the leg bones to their parents and turn off LOCK IK. Or do I gotta use a IK Constraint?

There are two kinds of IK you can use in A:M. There's the automatic IK that just lets you pull around bones quickly. This is usefull but it doesn't react to anything else you do--ei. it won't let you move the body around while keeping the feet planted in place. It only calculates IK while you are actually manipulating the bones.

For feet that stay planted in place, you need a Kinematic constraint, which will allow the IK to be calculated constantly. Use the Kinematic to attach the legs to a bone or null, which you will be able to move around to animate the feet indipendently of the body.

--Raf

ok I got a problem that seems really hard to fix so I wanted to show you all and see if I can find a solution to this since its really bugging me. Here is a video clip of the toe problem im having: Here Is The Problem

Now I could always just move the bone back when im animating so it keeps the original size of the foot. But I dont want to do that well...cause im lazy :P . And because I know there is another, yet easier and simplier way to bend the toe and yet keep the same size of the foot. So if someone could let me know whats wrong with the toe or tell me how I can fix it, please do. Thanks :rolleyes:

Paul