Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bluejean baby...

Hi all,

I felt guilty for not posting anything new in a while, so here's my newest character render. I'm trying out some photo texturing to add more believabilty. The jeans texture is pretty lo res right now, I used a digital camera. I'll probably use my scanner to scan sections of some jeans for a more detailed decal.

I need to rework the feet a bit, too. Shoes would be easier to model, I think.

I'm thinking she could wear a jacket that uses the v12 clothsim.

Jim

post-7-1108664769.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the MAN!

Nice job so far... there has been a discussion in another thread about materials (procedural textures) vs. decals...

I am glad I am not the only one who sticks odd things in a scanner! Is the shirt a material or a scan? I'm guessing material... it has that kind of look but I could be wrong.

Just be careful... when you put her on the scanner make sure she doesn't sit on it too hard... could break the glass...

Nice...round... boobies... very... tight... sweater... just had to mention it.

... I need to get out more....

Vernon "!" Zehr

Hi Jim -

Most excellent model. I like the jeans however there doesn't seem to be a seam towards the foot, ya know where that yellow stitching is that folds over. Perhaps this is what you mean by a more detailed decal?

Nice body shape, it's nice to see a female modeled who doesn't have ridiculously large breasts (every now and then).

Doug

Thanks!

The sweater texture is made by using patch images (images that you drag onto groups in the PWS), one as a diffuse map and another copy as a bump map. The patch image decals should be tileable. Some of the patches need to have their images rotated still. If you have my Schlitzy model (on the new cd) you can see that his longjohns are done the same way.

I use the micro textures that Marcel provided on his site:

http://www.kci-group.com/z/

I tweaked them a bit to get different looks, but they are a good starting point. The hair is just decals right now. I plan on giving her v11 hair, but I am having trouble deleting parts of the mesh when she has the hair material applied, so I have to wait until the model is done before she has "real" hair.

Yes, I have to go back in and add some of the details to the jeans that everyone would immediately miss, since everyone is very familiar with blue jeans.

Thanks again,

Jim

...Some of the patches need to have their images rotated still...

Could you elaborate on this just a teeny bit?

I have never used this image technique because I never got good results and didn't like the lack of control. How exactly can you rotate these image patches?

Is this something new in v11 with the UV editor?

Vernon "!" Zehr

but I think her skin is just a tad too shiny. :)

maybe she is sweat?? :P

She is great! I wish I someday manage to make something half that good!! Is the pattern (stripes) on the sweater suppose to be a bit stretched some places?

...Some of the patches need to have their images rotated still...

Could you elaborate on this just a teeny bit?

I have never used this image technique because I never got good results and didn't like the lack of control. How exactly can you rotate these image patches?

Is this something new in v11 with the UV editor?

Vernon "!" Zehr

Hi Vern,

When using patch images you drop an image onto a group name in the PWS (Project Work Space). A:M will make it's best guess which way the image is oriented for each patch in the group. It may add the image to one patch with the top at the top, but in the patch next to it, the image may be upside down. So you would choose the patch select tool (shortcut=shift-P) and click on the offending patch to select all the cp's of that patch, then right-click (PC), control-click (Mac) on the selected patch and choose rotate images from the pulldown menu. You would have to do it twice to get an upside-down image to rotate 180 degrees.

In my case none of my patch images are set to be color maps, so I can't see them in the realtime preview. I would have to temporarily turn my them into color maps to be able to see which ones needed rotating.

Does that make sense?

It's not new, although I don't know when it was originally added.

Jim

Absolutely fabulous Jim. The only thing that stuck out for me was the thickness of the jeans material at the waist - a little thick to my eye.

How are you handling the blue jean seams. Are you creating patches for them or are you just relying on decal alignment.

Cheers

Thanks, David!

At the moment it's just color and bump maps. I plan to add some geometry to the jeans to define the fly and pocket areas better, and probably the side seams too.

Yes, the jeans are too thick at the waist. I originally had the sweater overlapping the pants, but just changed that. Gotta fix that, I think I will need another spline there to get it right.

Jim

Patch images!!!

I never ever knew you could do that with patch images... fascinating...

Thanks Jimbo!

The Jim man... the Jimbolator... makin' patches... pullin' splines... talkin with the Vernolator... givin' out tips for the Zehr man... makin' copies...

Vernon "Shut me up already!" Zehr

Beautiful as ever, Jim!

Thanks for the knowledge on patch images. That was news to me too. I mean, I knew that you could drop an image on a group and have it reproduced on every patch in the group but hadn't really seen the use of it and didn't know that you could then rotate. I'm going to have to experiment with that. :)

I hope you got a bit of humor Mr Talbot or I will apologize in advance trying to make a quote - come true a bit:

"Could we get a shot of her without the jeans and sweater so we can see the underlying geometry?"

I really admire your work Mr Talbot and your excellent tutorials

but I wonder what are you trying to achieve? 100% photorealism?

It scares me a bit - 100% photorealism - not being able to say what is real or what is virtual. Perhaps we better stop trying to achieve such a goal? Where will such a goal lead us? I am thinking about this! Perhaps someone else have been thinking on the same issue? Having some kind of answer?

3D-television is that the answer - just 199 dollars -

http://www.3dmedialabs.com/3dtvproducts.html

- seeing Monica Levinsky virtual-live?!.,

wow, that offends even me!

mm, my advice is to try to find out what a naked woman looks like before trying to mod one. ' ' /

on a more serious note... jim, you're so photoreal here that you're getting close to the uncanny valley!

-jon

Is there a reason that most people spend very little time modeling feet accurately? Everything on BlueJean Baby looks real, except for her feet. This is not a knock, Jim, just an observation that I've yet to see a model, anywhere, with realistic feet.

I'd love to know the reason for this. Is there some kind of major difficulty in doing them realistically?

Thanks, Jon and Nosferatu.

The feet on this model are pretty rough, I agree. Feet are strange things to model, with all the splines coming from the toes into a big boring slab of area. I tried to limit the amount of splines in the toes to simplify the mesh.

Personally, I'm not wild about feet. I'd rather just model the shoes and not have to deal with all the distortion a foot makes as it does it's job. Shoes are much simpler.

Jim

Looks great Jim! How long does it take you to make 1 of these models? How much reference/rotos do you use?

I KNOW I can't animate anything realistically.

What d'ya mean?! I remember your schlitzy animation was solid!

-Alonso

I guess I'd have to say years. I do a lot of frankensteining of my old models for parts and reworking them to make new characters, so I can't be sure exatly how long it took.

I don't use rotoscopes in A:M, but I do sometimes have photos around that I eyeball to fine tune some features or proportions. Most of the time it's just tweak it until it looks good to me.

Well, my Schlitzy animation wasn't so good. Stephen's was excellent! But I meant that animating a realistic person is even more difficult, because the expectation is total realism. A cartoony character can be expected to animate like a cartoon. When realistic characters don't move realistically, people will notice anything wrong with it.

Jim

That's Stephen's great animation. I did do one version for the CGTalk 8th Dwarf contest, which you can see here:

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/SCHLITZY-F...-JTalbotski.mov

Anyway, I did a test with a bvh file on my new femal character and here's what I got.

Thanks,

Jim

ballet_on2.mov

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

Awesome use of a BVH! That was COOL Jimbo! Reaaaallllyy cool!

Just WAIT until we get our hands on v12's SimCloth with these BVH actions.... Thats the only thing looked unnatural there, was the fact that she was so 'glued' together...she needs some dynamics.

I agree, the feet are a detriment. Shoes are much easier to model. Feet are even ugly on beautiful human supermodels. The answer? Slap a set of stiletto's on her. No? how about some Converse AllStars then?

That animation was entertaining. Thanks!

At the risk of being a fan boy post - this is simply, stunning and marvelous work ! Congrats Jim ! The ballet really suits this character. Or this character is suited to ballet. And I think the short hair works well for her, even though I gather you have something else in mind for her.

Just "WOW" kind of work.

Doug

Simply stunning, Jim. Truly. Any chance I could use her in a video I'm trying to make? :D (big longshot, but you never know...)

You know, that kind of got me thinking about a "digital actor" concept. I find myself in the position of using the same A:M model for the same voice actress in two different productions, (because I can't model a straight spline to save my life!) and it just hit me that it's no different from a real actress being in two different movies. I wonder how long it will be before we see digital actors being reused and credited as their model name...

Maybe I should set up a digital casting agency... :)

Keep up the excellent work!

Dear Jim, I've always felt that you are THE BEST (i've had to use capitals) MODELER in whole AM community ever!!!

I've spent several hours just admiring your models and how the splines flow. Poetry in modeling if I could say that.

Hope that this does not make you too proud (You know, pride is sin ;)

GREAT!!!

Drvarceto Trajce