Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My Ugly Head WIP

I spent some time staring at the mirror... lol... its a good thing i can laugh at myself... because its hard to be taken serious when your mother finds you in your room drawing on your face with eyeliner...

... yeahhh...

its to study the lines of my face mom.... seriously....

lol..

anyways...

this is what i have so far this afternoon.... i'll post some wires soon...

post-7-1108591402.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me just say that, that is...AWESOME. Dude, when I first glanced at the thumbnail, I thought that was the PHOTO you took of yourself as a reference before I read the post!

Very nice, and I agree with the eyes closed comment. Makes total sense.

Actually if I remember the most relaxed state for the eyelids is open given the shape of the muscles and the like. But, it does make since to model them whyile closed.

I like the texture of the face a lot good specularity in the right places. However, since I have no idea what you look like I can't tell you how close you are. But, if I am look at this right you have done what most people do when modeling a head. You shape the lips with one spline. And, then use another spline for where the lips meet, however, you connect that spline to the lip outline spline. Then feed a spline through that same cp. Therefore, the one cp has three spline running through it. I would recommend using a different solution because with that many splines running through the same cp you will have a tendency toward creasing. If that's not what you did--nevermind.

Good job so far. Nice eyeliner line.

J

true...

I cant argue that... I guess I was thinking in splines.. than reality :P

I'm testing out the model by posing it now.... hopefully it went ok.... I dont want to go too far... and then find out I have to alter the way its built...

I'm also casting my face today.... I've got the molding stuff together..... I believe that will avoid any further embaracements :P

I'm hoping that by studying the face in different poses.. smile.. frowns etc... i can figure out the best splinage for it....

heres a couple more wireframes...

My main concern is the mouth in general.. I feel i have too many splines.. and that it'll crease eventually...

I'm going to try and cut it down....

post-7-1108595061.jpg

the maps included in the rendered image has specularity maps, diffuse maps, bump maps and colour... (yeah.. Im canadian... so what of it :P)

I took a picture of my face in the bathroom... I lowered the lights value with a dimmer.. and took a picture by the mirror..

I found that the mirror bounced back a nice even amount of light.. the only thing i had to remove were things like the creases of my nose in the picture....

but I really need to get back to it.... hopefully I'll turn it from WIP to SHOWCASE in a day...

ttyl... and any hints or suggestions are appreciated!!

BIG TIME

Darryl

ok.. some people bugged me to post a pic of my sad attempt of drawing on myself...

lol...

I noticed an issue when attempting to model this head. I tried to take one picture of my side profile.. and my front profile...

I originally wanted to take shoot pix.. and just play connect the splines...

it didnt happen though...

no matter what.. I couldnt match the front and side pictures up in animation master or photoshop cs...

then i realized..... that because each photograph happened with the camera distance slightly different... that the aspect was all off.. which meant... you just cant get a perfect match this way......

so I'm using the front as the master... and the side.. as more of a guildline...

I'm going to try and set up my pre production ideas for a molded head with guide lines... to get the perfect match for side and front photography... but until then...

SPLINE AWAY!!!

:P

post-7-1108597096.jpg

Well now I know what you look like. You're doing wonderful so far. The skin tone is a little dark and your upper lip is fuller than that of the model. Or, it's just the lighting I'm not sure, I think it's the lighting.

Going to do some tests using my recent head project and if the poses work then I'll post a wireframe here and in my original post so you can see what I did, because there are VERY few splines in my model.

J

First off.. Great model so far. Can't help much with advice. just cheering.

As far as the modeling with the eyes open comment. There is a real good reason to model with the eyes open. Unless your model sleeps most of the time.. you'll have its eyes open "most" of the time. Makes more since to me to get that pose right than to focus on modelling them closed and using a pose to get them to work, if they work, open.

After saying all that. It does seem like it would be easier to get them to work in a close if you modeled them that way. I just wonder how well they'll look when you try to open them.

C

Very nice modelling spiderman ;) (well it does look like a spiderman facepainting session gone bad :P )

The only thing that caught my eye was that the fold imediately below the lower lip was a little pronounced - too sharp - too much shadow. I think it needs to be softened a little.

I like to model with the eyes open simply to capture the foldes in the eyelids (to ensure I have enough splines for them). But as long as one takes care and plans for the splineage required it really makes not difference (except that in your pose sliders you will have to fold the eyelids - I always find it easier to unfold things than fold them up)

Cheers

Did a couple of tests realy quick and it does appear that this head will animate so here the wire as promised.

Now I'm off to post this on my thread. Hope that gives you ideas on making your model lighter. Of course depending on how much you want/need the face to do you may need to make it a bit heavier.

J

post-7-1108600568.jpg

I like your style...

its a great line up of splines...

but I need to find a balance of super detail and good splinage... I'm trying to go photo realisitic here... so I want some real creases for wrinkles etc..

but you just saved me a lot of time... I like your use of hooks to solve the rest of the head near the ears!!!

I was trying to figure it out!!

Yeah attaching the ear was harder than modeling the head. I remember on my first head it was all bumpy and creasing but this time it worked out (and as long as you put them in places that are going to get animated too much you're cool). Well good luck, looking good, and like to see where it goes.

J

the hair...

actually.. all i did was use the good old hair plugin!!!!

First time using it.. and I have to say...

I've used many hair systems.. BUT THIS IS BETTER THAN ANY OF THEM....

and they all cost at least 5 x as much of the total cost of animation master..

(my background is maya)

I groomed the hair.... and all I did.... was get a nice dark rich brown colour.. and ad some white specularity... and played with the percentage.. which was around 5-7 percent...

Im trying to replace all the flat hair with this digital hair now.... removing the eyelashes.. etc..

post-7-1108619489.jpg

• 7 years later...