Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
triath5147

ACTION BIRD

Just to let ya all know. I have been working with some friends of mine to make a game with 3D Game Studio. All models, and animation were created with AM, as well as cutscenes and props and other modeling content.

You can see a few screen shots here:

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthreads/sh...&fpart=all&vc=1

The free demo version barring any unknown bugs, will be released in about 2 weeks.

The game has three types of game play, 3rd person run and jump/fighting, a puzzle mode where you collect keys, and jump on platforms, and a wonder sphere mode, which is like a physics ball, you control on ramps, with powerups, and speed ups and what ever. The game has not yet been rated, but is intended for even young audiences. Hope you try the demo when it is public, I will post a link for the demo when it is uploaded.

this looks great! :D

Very cool indeed! So, are you going to share with the rest of us the process to go from AM into 3DGS?

Greg

The system I use to get models and animations from AM to 3DGS is quite simple actually. I create the content in AM, than export to Direct X with Chris's Direct X exporter from Obsideon Games, than I can import X files into 3DGS's MED ( model editor, and save in their format for use in the games. I either texture the models in AM or I use Ultimate unwrap, depending on what will be easier for that certain model. Things are starting to wrap up on it now. Only one more week till the demo is released, and in two weeks, we may be negotiating with Walmart depending on how the game is received.

The system I use to get models and animations from AM to 3DGS is quite simple actually. I create the content in AM, than export to Direct X with Chris's Direct X exporter from Obsideon Games, than I can import X files into 3DGS's MED ( model editor, and save in their format for use in the games. I either texture the models in AM or I use Ultimate unwrap, depending on what will be easier for that certain model. Things are starting to wrap up on it now. Only one more week till the demo is released, and in two weeks, we may be negotiating with Walmart depending on how the game is received.

This sounds very cool. We are looking at 3d game studio to teach and make games. I am not up on the making of games yet but I was wondering how much you could do with AM.

could explain a little more about the exporting models and animation from AM to Direct X.

What format do you save the AM files in to bring them into Direct X.

Is Direct X a software package? do you have to purchase it?

I always thought Direct X was a driver.

What is the patch count on your characters on average?

I would like to try a simple example if I get the drift of it.

tx

kuep,

"Directx" is an API, SDK, and drivers which all work with the graphics hardware, much like OpenGL. Included with all of this is an "xof" file format (what people are referring to by the Directx format in this context). It can describe the properties of models such as the polygons, textures, and bones. I actually wrote an exporter from Hash to the xof format a while ago, but it wasn't as complete as Chris's (and I did it before him as far as I know, and before I found his, otherwise I would have just used it). Anyway, the good thing with this is that by now a host of other applications, including other modelers and imports/exports, as well as a large number of game engines (3d game studio included) already work with the xof format so once you get a Hash model into that format you're pretty well set.

The humanoid characters are around 1200 polies, or approx. 600 AM patches. When you create your content in AM just keep in mind that the Hash patch, equals 2 triangles. SO whatever you make ur character in AM, it will be twice as many polygons once exported. If you go to Obsideon Games web site,

http://www.obsidiangames.com/

, you can get the pricing and features. There may be other direct X plugins, but this one is the most complete, the most up to date, and Chris has amazing customer service, and will work with you to resolve problems.

Once in X format, you can take your AM creations to a bunch of different game engines, like Game Studio, Dark Basic, Torque, Deux Ex, and a few others that escape me.

To try it, you can download a trial version of the exporter, without animations.

Groovy!

I will give a tryout. If it works out then this just makes AM that much more versitile.

will have more questions for sure

tx

Hi

Is this game still in development? Do you need beta testers?

I want to make games with a:m and game studio. I would love to see one in action.

Thanks

me too sandgroper, I have to rethink my approach to modeling for better designed and lower poly models.

I read that post on the animation master section about if games could be made in a:m and it just lit a spark in me. I checked out the link for game studio and liked what i saw. I downlaoaded the demo and have been using it non stop. I did all the tutorials and the cscript tutorials. I have also been playing with importing a:m models and stuff. I am convinced with a lot of hard work i can make something.

I looked at a bunch of other software for making games but the interfaces werent intuitive and you really had to know programming. Blitz3d opened the a:m x files beutifully with textures and all but i have no idea how that software works, i couldnt make heads or tales of it.

I havent been this excited about getting software since i first ordered a:m in 2000. I know with these 2 programs i can learn tons and make something.

I already have ideas for my first two games and have been researching a little about making them.

Let's keep each other posted on the progress we make here on the forum. Hopefully triath5147 is still around and can offer some advice too.

C ya around :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to see this game. The character looks good.

But every link I've tried has led to a "coming soon".

What happened?

Yes, I would like to see more to see how things are progressing and what sort of results you are getting. Any chance? :)

Sorry every body I havnt been to the hash forum in awhile and wasnt keeping track. The game is finished and in the hands of the publisher (DIM). It is just waiting for Walmart's beta testers and product people to evaluate it, which they do a few times a year. Hopefully ythey will take it, so it is on the shelves for christmas. Yes the links to the trial demo were all pulled, becuase guy tennaholtz, decided to close some of the ftp sites to consolidate, once we were done with the game.

I'll have to stop back here more often, I always start checking posts, but then I get tied up on other things and forget to check back. I need to work on some AM tutes as well, that Rodney and I were discussing....so much to do, so little time.

glad you are back triath.

I have a question. Are you using the AMXtex plugin? Are you using it to export textures to gamestudio?

When I export my texture and then import my model into the gamespace model editor it looks fine. But when I save it as a model and build and run it in the wed the textures are all mixed up. Did you have this problem? maybe its because i'm still on the trial version, i dont know.

Let me know. Thanks.

edit: I figured out I was sizing my texture maps wrong. I gues they have to be square and multiples of 256. I resized my map to 1024x1024 and it works now.

Yes textures must be in powers of two, but not necassarily square, they can be 256 x 512, etc.. 1024 is a huge image for a game. I'm sure you can scale that down to maybe 512. Remember that in real time that bmp is gonna be sucking video memory, and if u have alot of characters on screne or depending on the size of the WAD file of your level you will be some computers to a screching holt. Especially for characters, since they are smaller in game and rarely seen close up, and the fact that they are in motion, gives you the ability to slack on some details, without compromising the over all quality of the look of the game.

Triath5147,

Did you use the Standard or Commercial (or other) version of 3D Game Studio? Only the Commercial one has Bones Animation....is this something that is needed to import animation from AM? Thanks.

Paula

thanks for the tip triath, I scaled my map down to 512x512 and it looks just as good.

Hi Triath5147,

I've suggested starting a volunteer driven game-dev group but no one here is interested.

I'd like to benefit from your experience by asking a few question about making the Action Bird game.

Was it a volunteer effort or were participants paid for their effort?

Also what was the group dynamic like?

Were people motivated through and through or did the going get rough and slow down at times?

How was development leadership, casual or deadline strict?

Let me know,

Thanx.

I assumed you, among others, weren't interested SandGroper because the topic seems dead in the water.

You asked a question, "Who's in the driver's seat?" I answered it and you said nada, zip. No reply, no nothing.

What else am I to infer from a total lack of response?

On top of the fact that you were the only one to respond to the proposal in the first place tells me that the idea is obviously ahead of its time or that no one is interested.

So whats a visionary to do? ;)

In the mean time, I'd like to know how the Action Bird team was put together. Did they volunteer, were they paid and how motivated were they throughout the process of conception, creation to completion?

hehe i never sent you one! ;)

No, he was talking to me. I sent him an email, and got very satisfactory answers too.

The dude knows his stuff.

Cheers! B)

is it too late to get a copy of the demo? I see that all the links were pulled, but does someone have a copy they can send me? With all of these replies, I would love to play it.

Yep I sent them my last render to be used for the box art, last week, so I expect they will be printing the boxes, and cd covers soon, and starting the internet based sales shortly after.

This game is made for children ages 3-8 so it is not very challenging for adults, but it can still be fun.

Don't forget to check out the screen shots, on the screen shot page

On the Dreams In Motion page it says for ages 6+. You should get them to change that to 3+.

I will be getting copies of this game for my nephews, ages 5 and 6, for christmas.

I will get a copy for myself too even if it is mainly for kids. I am immature :P

I want to see a game with A:M and 3dgs in action. I am very excited for it.

The screen shots look cool. The last two look like drawings. Is that really how parts of the game look, or is that concept art?

Looks like they are already taking orders, but I have to wait til next month to order mine when I get the money.

I think I will get a copy to when it hits the web. Though it is for the young crowd, I remember when had I the old Coleco game (if you remember that one) console with all the gadgets to play sports and racing games but when my buddies came over and started playing, they always ended up playing the smurf game.

go figure!

I hope you guys can share some of the techniques and chalenges you went through when you put this game together.

From a illiterate game maker!

Here is a link to the trailer for the game. It is very dark in some spots because of the compression. This will be fixed, before it is officially used for advertisement, but i thought U guys could take a look at it awhile anyway.

http://www.romacstudios.com/trailer_low.mpg

by the way its like 20 meg so it takes alittle bit to load, if u don't have cable or dsl

so please be patient.

I ran out of money again this month :o but will definitely be buying action bird for my nephews for christmas.

I got my copies of action bird for my nephews in the mail today. I know they will love this christmas present!

I wanted to open one and try it but can't give already opened gifts. I'll have to wait for my own copy of action bird :)

Everybody buy action bird! Especially if you have kids to buy christmas presents for. :)

Hey Triath,

Is your Romac studios site down? I tried the link to the trailer, but got a 505 error.

Also, how are things coming along on the rating? Expensive, isn't it?:blink:

Let me know if you need any help from a fellow Hash game publisher *though I would not consider myself an expert by any means, just really blessed on ours. :)

Greg

Hey Triath,

Is your Romac studios site down? I tried the link to the trailer, but got a 505 error.

Also, how are things coming along on the rating? Expensive, isn't it?:blink:

Let me know if you need any help from a fellow Hash game publisher *though I would not consider myself an expert by any means, just really blessed on ours. :)

Greg

Yes the link for a demo never really happened, and the web site was used during development becaue it came with a free ftp site to use, to share our work with other team members. But all is going well, Walmart is supposed to be telling us if they are taking it or not, this week, So keep your fingers crossed. But even with the advertisinfg problems we've had with DIM " the publisher" it is still managing to sell copies through word of mouth.

With WalMart, did you just do the "vendor" application and go through the normal process, or were you working the publisher (who already was established with Walmart)?

Well the publisher received a notice from Walmart stating that they are not done testing. So hopefully I will know soon. The anxiety is killin me!!!!!!

I can only imagine. Btw, as far as packaging, are you guys doing just boxes (with a corrugated sleeve), or the newfangled amaray case with the outer sleeve, or??? We did just the bix, but are looking into doing the amaray case with the sleeve. Actually, we had considered doing an amamary DVD case, but too many people thought it was a DVD when we showed off a test box...

Now it looks like everyone is doing that, except with a thicker case.

I got my copies of action bird in just a cd case with a nice cd cover. No box.

Yes it is shipped just as a CD case, although for retails stores. I was told by the publisher, that some retail stores want a box. So ther is a box designed, but I dont think they printed any until they get a store order.

By the way, thanks for buyin the game, but tell me honestly, Keep in mind its for 8year olds, what do you think of it?

Hi triath

I havent played the game. It is a christmas present for my 2 nephews age 5 and 6. I want to get a copy for myself though when I get some money again.

yeh that was from about 5-6 years ago

there were actually two , one for modeling and skinning, the other was for animating. I havnt been to the reality factory site in years, Im suprised they are still there.

yes I still have it at an ftp site i think

I will dig it up and post the link if it is still there

EDITED: nope the ftp site no longer has the animation tut. But I do have it on a CD here, so if anyone wants it, and want to provide the web space, I will send it to you.

Walmart did not take the game, they said it would not compete with games they now sell at $5-$15 which used to sell for $50. So basicly they compared our no violance having kids game, to splinter cell.... Oh well, I'll just try again.