Hash, Inc. Forums

Musclecar Model

Well, I drew these two views of my own little musclecar on a whim and decided to model it just for fun. Holy cow has this been hard. I think I have about 6 hours into it already. Been having lots of trouble figuring out the noseplate behind the headlights, but I think I have if figured. I need to totally redo it from what you see below but the concept is working.

Man, some of these realistic 3d models of cars I've seen, I don't know how they do it. It's tricky to get precise measurements too. Here it is so far.

post-7-1108190991.jpg

Looks pretty good.

Noseplate behind headlights? How do you mean?

Well, not noseplate - (it was late) basically the back of the grille. The part where the headlights and the grille would be set into. I think I know how I'll do it now after sleeping on it, then I'll post an update. I couldn't keep extruding the main part of the body into the grille back, since there were way too many points, and oddly spaced, to really form anything.

jamagica - thanks!

ChrisThom - Well...it needs some wheels first!

Definitely more realistic than cartoony, but most likely there will be somewhat of a novelty feel to it. I don't have the skill to model something true to life just yet, anyway. But I want the pieces I make to be as near as "real" as possible. I think I know how to finish up the front end, and I hope to do that tonight and post an update.

I know my top rotoscope for sure has that monster look to it, but it is unintentional. The scales are a bit off, but it was a quick one-off sketch. I have more of the idea in my head than on paper, and the roto is more of a guide. Thanks for the encouragement!

Here's an update with the front grille and moulding. Definitely needs tweaking but close to what I was looking for. The grille seems a bit small. Obviously I'm just coloring groups right now, no real textures (not that I know how to make any anyway!)

Next job is the hood, which should be interesting.

post-7-1108268153.jpg

Hey, it looks good to me, but you use really too much patches, on the front I think it's ok, but try to reduce as much as possibel on the side. With so many patches it is nearly impossibel to have smooth surfaces, which I think is possible by building a car, keep it up!!

The spline count was something I struggled with. At first i felt I needed more to get the detail I need. Particularly at the edges of the wheelwell I actually added splines to get the corner right. However, I think you guys are right and I can get rid of some, so will try to do so.

The hood has less splines than the fenders, and that actually made it hard to match up exactly too. I'm going to try and dup the fender and remove splines and see how it goes.

I've already seen your cars Xtaz..nice! :) I see what you mean. I went back in and reduced it as much as I could without ruining lines or curves. Then I extruded the hood out using the spline from the edge of the fender, matching the splines on the front part as I went along so they all match. I think its better....

Have the rough form of the scoop. Needs a lot of work though, hood is not aligned up well either. Is the splineage an improvement?

post-7-1108351783.jpg

I know you're still working on it but FWIW you're getting creasing along the splines that are not symmetrically placed with respect to their neighbours. For best patch smoothness, Hash splines prefer cp's that are evenly spaced. Either move those cp's, if you can without seriously affecting the desire surface shape, or be prepared for some bias tweaking.

muscle_car.jpg

Ahhh I see Rodger. I will definitely try to fix that thanks! Please don't be afraid to give me constructive criticism, I'll take it gladly.

It's funny, when I was extruding the hood in front view, at one point I looked up and I was suddenly in birds eye - somehow I shifted it accidentally. So I think I will completely redo the hood to make sure it doesn't have any issues.

Thanks :) I want the car to have some curves to it. The scoop will have an opening that would work as ram air as well. I used to have a 77' vette, my favorite car - and I love the curves on the C3 vettes. (No longer have it thanks to the dot-bomb hehe)

Tom

I moved over one of the splines on the fender, I still have some tweaking to do but its fine for now. Redid the hood and it matches better. You can see I made a scoop...but... then I became lost on how to add it in!

I tried stitching it in with bad results. I'm wondering if I should use the top 3 splines of the hood to start extruding it and fill it in from there? Any suggestions?

post-7-1108445816.jpg

Unfortunately, you may have to compromise your design to work around A:M's mechanical modelling limitations.

If you want to stick with the present scoop design, you can form a hole in the hood using hooks and 5 pointers that is similar in shape to the scoop. Then hide the edge of the hole inside the rolled edge of the scoop which also hides the fact that they don't match exactly.

If you want the hood surface to smoothly transition into the scoop I think you're going to have to rethink the scoop shape based on what you can get Hash patches to do.

Ok, here's my test run at a scoop. I basically made the hole then fitted a moulding piece over it. It seems to render much better in the Chor window than in preview mode in the model window. In the model window I get slight creasing where the hole is, where the splines end.

I can definitely model the moulding to fit nicely around the hole. What do you think? I'll post the wires in the next post.

post-7-1108511875.jpg

Thanks Kyle. Here's an update. I think the scoop works. I adjusted the back of the hood for the curve of the windshield. I have some gaps where the hood meets the body I need to fix, and some tweaking of splines to the hood and fenders, but basically I'm ready to start on the body.

I did a quick extrude trying to keep splines down but it came out badly, will try more later.

The missing piece on the grille is some funky 5-point patches. You'll notice I changed it (I finally got the idea I want). I think I may have to remake the whole thing now, but you get the idea.

If anyone can give me some basic settings on how to make a basic metal material, I could get an idea of what the surface looks like.

post-7-1108531845.jpg

Update time... so I started in on the body. I tried a different technique for the rear wheelwell. I started from the left side view and extruded that shape. I think it went better, and I was able to shape the rear fin and curved rear nicely I think.

Note this is the ROUGH version, I just did the basic shape but didn't do a lot of smoothing yet, and I'm missing a chunk on the flip. I have to shape the trunk and fix the irregularities. I also have to figure out how to attach it to the front and whether or not the roof is a separate piece or attached...no idea yet.

If you have seen Mad Max (the first movie) I think I am going to make this an Interceptor car, which I have always loved :ph34r:

post-7-1108777390.jpg

Made some progress on the body. Put in a rough windshield. Forming the front posts is gonna be tough, no idea how to do it since no spot to attach them.

Even with the whole top, I wonder if a single layer of patches is good enough? Or do I need to make more "solid"? It's very thin with one layer of patch. I wish I knew how these guys made cars like this - the Cooper in the contest is awesome.

I put porcelain on the base model and I'm gettin some funky stuff - especially on the grille. I flipped all the normals so no idea what is goin on. Got funky stuff at different angles too. No idea how to use materials so sure that has a big part to do with it.

Extruding from the side worked better on the back, so they look better. Oh well.

post-7-1108792704.jpg

Good point Mike, and I have been leaning that way too. I had originally hoped to have opening doors and hood, but now even that seems like a real chore to do, so I'm skipping that. I didn't mean to get consumed in this model (you know all the animation problems I was having - I'm supposed to be working on that) but somehow it happened. :/

I just bought the 3dartz rigging tut - looking forward to getting that and hopefully making some progress in that area too.

Well, ok - a mechanical modeler I AM NOT! :lol::rolleyes:

This has begun to look WAY more cartoony than I wanted it to. I played around with decals for the first time. At least I see how they work. Looks like the trick is getting things smooth and lined up.

The moment I added the tires to the model, it became completely unmanageable. I removed them and made them a second model. How do you figure out patch count? I'd be interested to see where I am at.

I'm going to try and put simple windows in (dark so the interior is hidden), make some rims and last pieces (rear lights, tailpipes, mirrors, siren and cop lights) and decal it and be done with it (I hope!).

post-7-1109040728.jpg

That's a car i wouldn't like to hit me on the street! It looks agressive!

Have you thought about the materials? I can imagine metallic reflexes (is it "reflexes"? Sorry no hablo bien inglés), chrome in the tires, refractions in the windows and an overall "you 've been officially pimped" look B)

I haven't messed with materials yet, the model window is already slow with all the patches so I have been waiting. I just planned on having the "nice paint job" look with nice rims and bright police lights. Of course, I have no idea how to do any of that LOL