Hash, Inc. Forums

Public bathroom WIP

Building a bathroom for a short animation piece. Still plenty of work to do--the stalls don't even have toilets in them yet, among other things.

Not really going for photorealism here; I'll be blurring and re-touching the finished render in Photoshop to create a "painted" backdrop for my toon characters.

post-7-1107021017.jpg

Wow! thats ...

hold on .. back in a second...

ok.. back.. Lets see one more look. Yep thats... thats...

hold on be right back.. sorry...

ok..

sorry.. I don't know whats gotten into me today.. ok.. oh yeah.. the bathroom....

hold on .. dammit..

back. For some stupid reason.. every time I look at you pic.. I feel the call of nature.

Looks pretty good to me.. My only critique.. is it looks to clean for a public bathroom.

I've seen some bathrooms that looked like that.. but I was afraid to pee in them, because they didnt seem real. Dirty it up some (try the dirt maps renderer). Then I'd go all over that pic.. oh sorry. I went to far didnt I :blink:

good stuff.

C

You did all that in Animation Master? Wow, If you think that doesn't look that good yet, I don't even want to show you anything I've made.

Well, you wouldn't be as impressed if you knew how many hours it took me to light it. Geometry-wise, though, except for the urinals and sinks, the whole thing's just a bunch of rectangles.

The trick is to keep all your textures within the same color family--that's the only thing keeping this bathroom from looking like a high-schooler's Unreal Tournament mod.

Would be cool to see a radiosity render.

Wouldn't it? I'll consider doing one if any of the radiosity masters can help me crunch the numbers.

Looks pretty good to me.. My only critique.. is it looks too clean for a public bathroom.

[...] Dirty it up some (try the dirt maps renderer).

Thanks, Colin. Anyone know of a good dirt-map tutorial?

Looks really good Mike. Are the walls and stalls suposed to be tiled or more like bricks? If it is tiles they seem kind of big and tiles don't usually wrap around outer corners. If it is supposed to be bricks or cinder blocks, maybe every other row should be off set. In the final scene this may not matter at all so feel free to disregard. Like I said it already looks great.

Nice bathroom Mike.

I like the lighting, have you posted this in another thread it looks familiar?

Mind you I've visited many in my time!! ;)

A little unconventional perhaps, but it's meant to fit with the character design--big and blocky

Can't wait to see the result. BTW how do you post a link yet change the link address to read character design?? I've seen it used but haven't been able to work it out.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Mike

I like the lighting, have you posted this in another thread it looks familiar?

Oh yes indeed.

Can't wait to see the result. BTW how do you post a link yet change the link address to read character design?? I've seen it used but haven't been able to work it out.

Whenever you enter a comment, on the row of buttons above the text-entry box, you'll see one that says "http://" on it. If you hit that, you'll be able to enter a link URL, followed by the text you want associated with the link.

Based on the pic you showed... I noticed one thing. The grout color varies in darkness in the real world and the tiles have slightly different darkness and depth to them. You could use a texture and just make a repeatable tile that has some variation. Other than that it looks awesome!

As far as the dirt map thing.. I think its pretty straigh forward.. there used to be an example in the Art of AM or maybe it was david Rodgers book.

I'll check.

C

Minor update. This time I added mirrors over the sinks, re-did the moulding where the walls meet the floor, and added subtle color variations to the tiles. I couldn't really dirty up the grout since it's already black--I tried making it lighter, but it added too much visual noise to the image. Since the set is designed to act as a backdrop for toon-rendered characters, too much realism can actually be a bad thing.

Still to come: the stall toilets, a garbage can, and maybe a fire extinguisher on the wall somewhere. Plus, assorted posters and signs. This could take a while...

post-7-1107190652.jpg

Looking good Mike. :D

If you are using it literally as a backdrop, ie with characters entirely in front of a separate image, you may be better moving the camera further away and zooming in. The walls appear to slope back due to the wide angle lens.

If your characters are inside the backdrop this wouldn't matter.

BTW thanks for the info on posting. I'll try that next time I post a link.

Cheers

Mike

Finished the trash bin and toilets. Technically, I suppose you'd also want to have toilet paper while you're in there, but the camera's never going to be pointed in that direction, so you'll never see into the stalls anyway. (In film-school-ese: The stalls are on the other side of the camera axis.)

The trash bin, on the other hand, is right next to the window where the main character enters the scene, so I had to fuss with the garbage bag a little to get it to look passable (no materials, just splines). I think I'll mount a fire extinguisher on the wall near the trash bin, and then I can finally put up some posters--which is gonna be a breeze after all the time it took me to model all those props.

Man, that's one grim-looking bathroom.

post-7-1107278249.jpg

well done. I agree with many of the previous posters that the room is too clean. I also feel like the walls between the stalls should be thinner (about 1" thick) with a monochromatic paint scheme. It would also be great if the grout was darker on the floor, unless you want the room to look new and clean. Remember a little graffiti goes a long way.

Lots of advice in this thread, but if I had to pick a theme, that theme would be: grout. You people have very strong opinions about grout. Apparently my just-make-the-grout-black strategy failed to satisfy you. You demanded more, higher-quality grout.

Accordingly, I've revamped the tile textures with enhanced grout F/X. I hope you're happy.

I agree with many of the previous posters that the room is too clean.

That may be, but geometry comes first. I'll figure out ways to dirty it up once all the props are in place.

I also feel like the walls between the stalls should be thinner (about 1" thick) with a monochromatic paint scheme.

I'm familiar with that type of stall, but as I said previously I'm deliberately going with a heavier, "retro" look for stylistic purposes. Also, the type of stall you describe typically runs from floor to ceiling, which would interfere with the sunbeams.

It would also be great if the grout was darker on the floor, unless you want the room to look new and clean. Remember a little graffiti goes a long way.

Good point about the floor grout. I've blackened it. I'll consider the graffiti, but this is a police station bathroom, so I imagine vandalism would be at a minimum. If Rodney knows different, I trust he'll weigh in.

post-7-1107445137.jpg

Okay, I'm officially sick of working on this bathroom. I've spent seven straight days on this. The fire extinguisher took me way longer than it was supposed to, especially considering it may never even show up on camera, depending on how I end up storyboarding this scene.

The last remaining step is decaling--handwritten signs, dirt & grime, detailing. But not tonight. I need a break. I'm gonna switch to doing costume designs for a little while; hopefully that'll recharge the ol' batteries.

Purely out of boredom, I rendered this one toon-style. It amused me.

post-7-1107531376.jpg

well, if it helps: It looks like a bathroom fit for the Gods, the Animated ones that is. It's a masterpiece and for some reason, I have a hard time beliving anyone could create such art in only 7 days, because I sure as hell can't. So if you think it's boring, just think of everything you got that me and so many others are struggeling to get: a steady and good artisthand