Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character Head WIP for my Star Wars Fan Film

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! You've sure got the hang of splines. I'd like to see his brows less prominent at the top of his nose. You've made a good stab at the ears, but there's something off about the hole.....too big? Also, under his mouth I think there could be one or two less horizontal splines. You could use hooks to cut the number down.

Heck. here's some more.......abit more creasing at the side of his "nostril flares" and the brain area at the back of the head seem abit small (could come down more). Of course, I know you're going for a stylised look.

Thanks for all of the replies!!

pancho simpson:

"that's a great model, however isn't it a bit dense? Hmm, try to lower the spline count on his forehead since it won't be animated. Also there's a slight crease on the chin, (unattached splines?) anyway that looks awesome!"

my reply:

Thanks. Though, I should have prefaced that I'm going for a stylized look , which may just be rendered out as anime, so I wanted the model to be dense enough for a lot of expression, but not too dense where I'd be running into weird creasing issues and such. As for the chin, yeah, it's supposed to be there. The ending model will ideally look like a cross between a 3D version of Mace Windu (from the animated Clone Wars series) and the exaggerrated stylings of Peter Chung (hense the long face, sharp cut chin, etc..). I will keep in mind my cp count though for smoother animation. Thanks! :)

KenH :

Excellent! You've sure got the hang of splines. I'd like to see his brows less prominent at the top of his nose. You've made a good stab at the ears, but there's something off about the hole.....too big? Also, under his mouth I think there could be one or two less horizontal splines. You could use hooks to cut the number down.

Heck. here's some more.......abit more creasing at the side of his "nostril flares" and the brain area at the back of the head seem abit small (could come down more). Of course, I know you're going for a stylised look.

my reply:

Thanks so much Ken! Yeah, I'll admit, there's definitely some tweakage that needs to happen, like the ears, nostrils, etc.. (afterall, he IS a WIP, right?). You are right about me going for a more stylized look. I'm aiming to render this out in toon-style anime (Peter Chung style).

xade:

WOW!!!! He looks SO cool!! when do you think we'll be seeing him on-stage?

my reply:

Thanks xade, hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm currently in my last 2 quarters of getting my BS in Media Arts/Animation and want to use him for my reel, so sooner is definitely the timeframe that I'm aiming for. I'll keep everyone (who's interested) posted.

Thanks again to everyone else who posted positive stuff, even those who post advice or improvement-based critiques, I have much love for you guys too- cuz that's how we get better, right? :)

Keep the comments comin'....

Cheers, N

xade:

my reply:

Thanks xade, hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm currently in my last 2 quarters of getting my BS in Media Arts/Animation and want to use him for my reel, so sooner is definitely the timeframe that I'm aiming for. I'll keep everyone (who's interested) posted.

that wasn't xade, that was me :P and Im VERY interested in knowing the progress, so you just post away!

If you need any Clone Wars or post-Galactic Civil War models, just ask me. I was working on a Clone Wars fanfilm (Clone Commander) then merged with a Jacen and Jaina fanfilm (Yuzhann Vong War area, no title) and the guys working with me just disappeared, so I am now doing nothing witht hem. :P I may pick up Clone Commander, as I already have a full script for that... <_< I don't know if I will. :blink:

xade:

my reply:

that wasn't xade, that was me :P and Im VERY interested in knowing the progress, so you just post away!

Sorry Mr. Jage, my bad :o

Well, in that case thank YOU for the kind words!!

wrd- -N

Sweet model, love the style. Is this a dark jedi or just a very intense light jedi?

Great question Chris....Actually to sum up, the whole story that is based around him has to do with his struggle being on the 'borderline' of the lightside of the force and the darkside. I'm still going through rough iterrations of the final script, but that's the 'theme', if you will. Hope that answers your question, and thanks for the compliment! :)

wrd- -N

Actually to sum up, the whole story that is based around him has to do with his struggle being on the 'borderline' of the lightside of the force and the darkside. I'm still going through rough iterrations of the final script, but that's the 'theme', if you will. Hope that answers your question, and thanks for the compliment!
Sounds tricky! Can't wait to see the flick! (and btw, how come everybady thinks it's JaGe, when it's aqtually JaQe? :P)

If you need any Clone Wars or post-Galactic Civil War models, just ask me. I was working on a Clone Wars fanfilm (Clone Commander) then merged with a Jacen and Jaina fanfilm (Yuzhann Vong War area, no title) and the guys working with me just disappeared, so I am now doing nothing witht hem. :P I may pick up Clone Commander, as I already have a full script for that... <_< I don't know if I will. :blink:

Thanks for the offer Kyle, I just may take you up on your offer, probably to use the models for reference and inspiration of course. I have yet to pen character bios on him, the 'villain' of the film, and his master. You may see glimpses of his wife and child- which will most likely play into the storyline as well...we'll see...

Let's keep in touch though. I'm glad to see another SW nut on the Hash Forums!! :)

wrd- -N

I am completely obsessed... ;)

I may just pick up my film again so we're on similar paths. Things keep going wrong. Especially since most of my script got destroyed... <_<

Oh well, here are the basics of mine:

Called Clone Commander. May change the title due to plot changes. It focuses around a Clone Commander, a Jedi Knight who is very faithful to the clones, a merciful bounty hunter, and a Dark Jedi being pulled more towards the light by the events that take place during the war. They have completely different paths, but their lives intersect every now and then. Towards the end, their own personal goals and quests bring them together, but not in a way you'd think (you'll see)... I'm going for an epic feel, so I'm still deciding how to do large battles. That's all I can find in the script that didn't get destroyed, but it's basically the idea. ;) Basically...

Actually to sum up, the whole story that is based around him has to do with his struggle being on the 'borderline' of the lightside of the force and the darkside. I'm still going through rough iterrations of the final script, but that's the 'theme', if you will. Hope that answers your question, and thanks for the compliment!
Sounds tricky! Can't wait to see the flick! (and btw, how come everybady thinks it's JaGe, when it's aqtually JaQe? :P)

The 'Q' in your name is lowercase and it looks like a 'g'. That's my reason anyway :D

wrd- -N

I am completely obsessed... ;)

I may just pick up my film again so we're on similar paths. Things keep going wrong. Especially since most of my script got destroyed... <_<

Oh well, here are the basics of mine:

Called Clone Commander. May change the title due to plot changes. It focuses around a Clone Commander, a Jedi Knight who is very faithful to the clones, a merciful bounty hunter, and a Dark Jedi being pulled more towards the light by the events that take place during the war. They have completely different paths, but their lives intersect every now and then. Towards the end, their own personal goals and quests bring them together, but not in a way you'd think (you'll see)... I'm going for an epic feel, so I'm still deciding how to do large battles. That's all I can find in the script that didn't get destroyed, but it's basically the idea. ;) Basically...

Well, Kyle, it sounds like we're kindred spirits in the SW Galaxy, eh? I would definitely love to get feedback from a real SW Fan on my film, that's the true test, right? ;)

I'm excited, I'm working on his 'midsection' or chest area tonight, and am gonna tweak somethings on his head, I'll keep posting...Do you have anything I could see of yours?

wrd- -N

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to really work on him the way I wanted tonight due to homework and shear exhaustion.

However, since eventually I plan on using the 'toon' shader on the entire film, I thought I'd do a simple head test render. Comments are definitely welcome, as usual...

Cheers, N

post-7-1106998721.jpg

He looks pretty cool to me. I guess toon render is the reason behind that sharp edge on the chin that higginsdj mentioned. It sort of bugged me too til I saw the toon render. He kind of reminds me of that guy in Street Fighter. Segan, Sagan or something like that. The big Thai boxer.

Bravo! You did a great work! It's so expressive even without his eyes and eyebrows. However, I'm with the others about the angled chin, I think you'd better smooth that spline. It's not bad, but it contrasts with the smoothness of the rest of the face, I'd go either for angled or smooth splines.

Great work!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to really work on him the way I wanted tonight due to homework and shear exhaustion.

However, since eventually I plan on using the 'toon' shader on the entire film, I thought I'd do a simple head test render. Comments are definitely welcome, as usual...

Cheers, N

Personally, I prefered it as a straight render.

How about trying a regular render but leave the lines on? Here's an example of a project nerazzi was working on and he did this. What happened to that project I wonder. Anyways, here's the link: Nerrazi's post. It'd be neat to see what your guy would look like with that way of rendering. Great work so far!

-Robert

How about trying a regular render but leave the lines on? Here's an example of a project nerazzi was working on and he did this. What happened to that project I wonder. Anyways, here's the link: Nerrazi's post. It'd be neat to see what your guy would look like with that way of rendering. Great work so far!

-Robert

Thanks again for all the posts. out the head using lines only along with the regular 3D final shader, and it really looked cool. I will post a WIP of it tonight when I get home from work. Arrrgh...I can't wait!! :o

Thanks again for all who posted...More is definitely coming very soon...I promise.

Cheers, Noah

Thanks again for all the posts. out the head using lines only along with the regular 3D final shader, and it really looked cool. I will post a WIP of it tonight when I get home from work. Arrrgh...I can't wait!! 

Thanks again for all who posted...More is definitely coming very soon...I promise.

Cheers, Noah

Well alright then :D ! I wanna see how it turned out. I can't wait. The suspense is killing me. :lol:

Glad you liked my suggestion.

-Robert

Thanks again for all the posts. out the head using lines only along with the regular 3D final shader, and it really looked cool. I will post a WIP of it tonight when I get home from work. Arrrgh...I can't wait!! 

Cheers, Noah

Well alright then :D ! I wanna see how it turned out. I can't wait. The suspense is killing me. :lol:

Glad you liked my suggestion.

-Robert

Hi all, just had a baby boy today!! So, I may not be posting stuff on this for a little while, so all who are interested or have been interested in this thread, hang in there...I will post something again very soon...

Cheers, Noah

Hi all, just had a baby boy today!! So, I may not be posting stuff on this for a little while, so all who are interested or have been interested in this thread, hang in there...I will post something again very soon...

Cheers, Noah

Oh wow! Congratulations! Best of luck! :D

-Robert