Hash, Inc. Forums

Maggie WIP

OdinsEye2k

Thought I'd move Maggie over to the WIP so I don't spend so much list time. Warning: graphics overload (4 shots).

wipbodywire0.jpg

wipbodywire1.jpg

wipbody0.jpg

wipbody1.jpg

She's become very soft, almost cartoony now. I'd kind of like to try and push her back to a little more realism.

I've tried using specular highlight to get the glint in her eyes to become alive, but it's not really working. I'm going to try a clear overlayer tomorrow to see how that works. Any other hints would be welcome. I did move the decal a bit and it does improve the look.

She's got an extra ring on the lips now, and the upper half of the jumpsuit is modelled as you can see. The arm is attrociously dense, but I'm going to need it when I start wrinking the fabric around the arms and the shoulder region. I'll probably use displacement maps for the smaller wrinkles on the body.

Still haven't decided on a good hair-do - long or short, I wonder? I could see it both ways, but I think the long would end up in a pony-tail, probably with a few good strays up around her eyes.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the comments so far. That and adding bones as I go (I found once a model's done, the motivation to rig up goes away) will help get this one complete. Then to her partner-in-crime. Too bad the 'reflections' contest is already over... coulda had fun with that one.

I'm going to try and figure out how to make the artifacts on the collar go away - dunno if it's porcelain trying to make too steep a turn or not yet.

If you want to see any more views to be able to better crit, please let me know.

Bjorn

Hi Bjorn, looking at your spline view the collar aberation is almost certainly Porcelain at work. Setting normal weight to a low amount might help, adding another spline certainly will. For eyes, I find that building a more physically correct eye is the way to get correct highlights. A concave pupil covered by a convex lense works wonders and because it's only a small section of your render the speed hit is negligible

ciao

JohnArtbox

Are you refering to the lip color or the splines themselves?

I did the color map following a cgtalk tutorial posted there - a couple of tricks that came in fairly handy:

Face tutorial by 'cANT'

As for the splinage, I just drew out the larger shape and then extruded inwards. And of course had to chose where the 5-pointers would go around them, but that's more of a orbis/depressor (that junction where wrinkles show up in old folk - also known as 'laugh lines') issue. The only real trick is to get that bump on them right, which is a fair amount of tweaking and looking at your own face. I found that it's a little sharper than you might think, and the bump usually is more toward the outside of the lip.

Now with hair and a bit more glint in the eyes... I'm currently doing a bit of smart-skinning on the upper half before moving on to model the legs. My model-and-smartskin parts in separate files scheme kind of backfired on me - the smartskin's went looking for the original CP numbers rather than the new ones the mesh attained when imported. Luckily, the fix is doable in WordPad, which, while tedious, is far superior than trying to remember how I pulled things off the first time.

Anyhow, the new pic with a new hairstyle.

wipdraftd0.jpg