Hash, Inc. Forums

Number crunching work horses

This is som'thin i've been working on for the past few days (11 hours in fact) from scratch to final render. The lighting came together pretty quick too. The main thought behind it is that the more technology progresses the more popple become trapped in an in-escapable cage. This picture was meant to depict the vast empty feeling one should get when faced with the slavery of technology. But other than that it was done for fun. See in it what you want.

And if Far Star sees this, I would like to enter this into a portfolio to show my lighting and camera skills. If you need someone else on the team that is. There's still more to come on this theme too.

post-8-1106894317.jpg

the slavery of technology

I'm working on the re-plotting/scripting of a serial that has major social comment about the overuse of technology and the decline of Man to his creations. Whats funny is that my pastey white fingers are doing the writing on a wireless laptop while the multi-channel sound system is providing mood music extracted from a satelite.... Chuckle.

A comment on the render though - The patch cord in the lower left corner - Is it floating? The shadow on the floor makes me think that the cord is not on the ground.

Bill

p.s. Nice conveyance of feelings like "depression", "loss", and "helpless"

I only let him out when he needs to take a dump. He seems to like your garden. Maybe planting roses would put him off? :D

Sorry Philip...I couldn't resist. No threadjacking going on here. Carry on.

Becuase of the way the lights were placed the render took only six minutes at this res on a 2.4 ghz pc with no graphics exelleration that I no of. I was very pleased with this. :D

A comment on the render though - The patch cord in the lower left corner - Is it floating? The shadow on the floor makes me think that the cord is not on the ground.

No its on the ground. But as I have seen from examples of alot of other programs plus a:m is that z-buffered shadows tend to make this artifact. In this picture it turned alot better than in other attempts. Some times this happens even if the mesh is physically inside of the other object. I think it comes map resolution or something. Does anyone have any tips?

Yes, I know its kind of funny that we would be using computers to depict our own slavery.

I haven't had the problem that you are having KenH. But I did have some problems around the edges of the windows. to fix this I lowered the brightness. Yours maybe a combo of that and something obstructing the path of light in the light fixture. But I don't know for sure.

The real feel for this picture was not as hard as it looks. Each window has two lights. The Kleig behind the window and a bulb where it strikes the floor. The Klieg is about 100% and the bulb is about 30%. This gives the illusion of radial reflection. But I think it might loose some realizim if the scene were to be brighter.

Thanqs for all of your comments. Its very incoraging. I'll try to send more posts on the rest of this theme.

Also since you all have noticed my real name on the posts I would like to make a public clearification. My a ccount is not under NickHutson because I suffer from multiple personality disorter. Nick Hutson is the name of a comic book character I was working on. I put my real name up for the sake of some who were looking into a portfolio of mine so they would know what pictures I've made on this forum. Please dont think I crazy. Even though I can be some times.