Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Edward elrich

Vash

I want to model Edward elrich (anyone know who that is?) 's head but I need to good shots : the side and front of the head. Also how would I create locks of hair like braids. Here for people who don't know. His profile is under characters, elric family, then edward. For those who don't know you probably won't be able to find a good pic.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've worked a little but I don't know how I'm doing. Now I know this won't look near as good as Mr.Jaqe's Vegeta model but I'm doing my best. Please tell me the honest truth. Also I've noticed the ear in the pics is not very well drawn.

post-7-1106374170.jpg

Could you post a wireframe of the front too? It looks like the eye is a bit too far forward or the seperation between the eye and the ridge line of the nose is a bit too great. (does that make sense? :huh: ) So yea, a wireframe of the front would help too.

-Robert

are you following a tutorial? if not, this one might help you out: http://www.shimmyo.com/face_tute.php it's a bit old and it may not be too good for drawn charracters, if you think it's crap, you could try this one: http://demented3d.com/tutorial/ . of course, theese are all personaly chosen, so no guarante they'll be any good :P

EDIT: you should really check out how the eye in the first tutorial is made, the way he's doing it is pretty darn smart

Edited by Mr. Jaqe

Yes, here's the wireframe. (glad someone cares) As you can see I've been modeling. I've modeled more but the other cps would confuse the linkage (don't ask me what that means). Thanks Mr. Jaqe. Yes I'm using the cooper tutorial. Although with hand drawn characters it may not work as well.

post-7-1106435894.jpg

the cheek/mouth area looks a bit odd... looks like is cheek is too broad or something. and his mid nose and, well, face line looks like it's standing a bit alone, if you get what I mean. It's way in front of the others. Other than that it's very good

WARNING: Im VERY tired, so if you find my critiqe a bit odd, it's because I can't see straight

On the lines of tutorials, here's a good one: Head tutorial

Only problem is its not in English ,well, a problem for me anyways, since I can't read it. But anyways, the pictures are pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for the front wireframe! That helps. Ok so, the third strand of cps needs to be pushed back a little so the face is a bit more rounded. Other than that, the spots where you have three cps going to one spot will end up giving you trouble. Don't forget to stick to the tutorials! They help a lot. Keep up the good work! :D

-Robert

post-7-1106439082.jpg

I know all these critiques are truthful. I am trying to correct these errors but... well... uh... to tell the truth I am not a very good modeler. I remember it airing sometime in I think december. not that I really know. The back is very square. can you help me in correcting it.

post-7-1106445161.jpg

Full Metal Alchemist is a great series :)

You've got way too much geometry in the back of the skull, cut that way down or you're gonna have a heck of a time rounding that out. The only way to keep it from looking so square is to just get in there and start pulling points. Or Delete the back of the skull and attach part of a sphere, like http://demented3d.com/tutorial/toontutoria...ing/head-b.html

Also, in the sideview you've got the skull coming all the way up to the top of the hair. The actual skull stops about an inch or so below there, leave yourself some room to create a wig for your character.

Round out the front of the face to keep it from looking so flat.

Tried to reshape the back of the head and the junction of the face. But The eye looks HYPNOTIC so I want to know how to make an anime eye. Also I thought about his limbs. Any ideas on how to make his automail (mechanical) limbs?

post-7-1106455057.jpg

Theese are just suggestions, but I think you should do something about the spots I've drawn circels around and maybe you should add another line where I drew one? just to make some of the other splines less twisted

EDIT: and if you want an anime eye tutorial, check out the 2nd tutorial I posted or the one xade posted

post-7-1106482170.jpg

Edited by Mr. Jaqe

This is just not right! I was modeling and then... EVERYTHING WAS GONE! :( I have to start from here! I could sware I saved after this. So much time- WASTED! I want to bash the moniter straight into the wall! Anything I could bring it back by?- or is that impossible? It crashed suddenly and there is nothing I can do. So I'll probably be RE-posting my progress. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-7-1106498987.jpg

ah, this is my specialty: you detatch all the midsplines on the left model and delete the ones pointing downwards, or all the splines pointing up/down or... just the y splines, if that makes it easier to understand. Then you detatch all the right mid-splines and you attatch the right x spline with the left x spline and attatch it to the y spline. like this: (delete the splines with x over them, detatch the CP's that I've put a circel around and then "fuse" x and x splines and y and y splines, just do it all around your model)

post-7-1106522103.jpg

What I do, its more work, but never messes up the way copy/flip/attach has for me on a few occasions. Instead of copy/flip/attach, I copy the entire thing, flip it along the x axis, then delete the spline that runs down the middle of the face, then attach it by hand. But for the problem your having its probably because the cps on the y axis aren't exactly on it, just select the spline there, go to properties, then scale the x axis of the group you just selected to zero. Hope that helps!

-Robert

Ok. I copied and attatched. So now I am working on hair. I've started with the braid but I don't know where to go with the hair from here. Please give your comments. The bottom thing is an anime jack of the spiked end of the braid.

post-7-1106531240.jpg

the thing I'm noticing is that his face (cheeks) arent round. Look at the model from the top view in shaded mode and pull those points to make the cheek round. then go to the side view and adjust to fit the image.

One word of warning. If those rotoscopes you started with arent lined up then you'll have a hard time modelling. Take them in Photoshop or some program with layers and overlay them to see if the eyes, nose, mouth etc line up.

I also notice the the rotoscope is very pixelated. Take the original into photoshop and blow it up so that you can see the line detail when you are zoomed in.

You might want to go into the rotoscope and draw out some more detail on the face. Even though it won't show up much in the rendered version.. it will help you model.

C

Nice thing about working in 3D is you can cheat like heck :) You dont need to model braided hair the same way it is in real life, it only needs to look like it.

misc-18.jpg

All it is is a bunch of interlocked spheres, but when rendered it looks nice.

Once you're done just add the pointed end and you're done.

Colin you're alive! What was it like... the outside world? :P

Anyways,

All it is is a bunch of interlocked spheres, but when rendered it looks nice.

Wow, that's a lot more simple than I would have imagined it would be.

I'd suggest doing detached hair spikes for several reasons. One of which is that it'll be a whole lot easier to not try to attach them all (believe me, I've tried, and failed :lol: ). Also, if your going to be using toon render when you render him at the end (which I'm assuming you will), detached hair spikes will show up just that much more and create more and better detail in the hair I would think. The only thing I noticed about the picture you just posted is the placement of his hair. The pony tail should be closer to the bottom of the hair, since all (or most) of his hair goes into it. Keep up the pace!

-Robert

I keep seeing "Thinking about modeling head". But that does not remain truthful to what I am ACTUALLY doing. Oh yeah an update. I got to this group of spikes but I don't know what I am actually doing here. Could you (Joakim, Xade, WHOEVER)give me some pointers on what to do with it.

post-7-1106707414.jpg

In this case I'd suggest using krickets crazycool tutorials. The one labeled head I believe has some parts on this. (Modeling the spikes). From what I understand is that you need to make one strand at a time. It looks like you've done that, but started connecting them. This you do not necessarily need to do however. Can you post a different angle of that as well? Thanks!

-Robert

ARGH! :angry: I can't hardly make progress because animation master keeps closing on me. I keep trying to add hair stems. I try to delete one point and "poof" it closes. Sorry I haven't made progress recently but there is really nothing in my power that I can do. I'll let any of you know when it stops this nonsense.

• 1 month later...

Ok. I now see that this ended in failure. Too many dead and high criss- splines. I decided to try again. I won't crease like crazy. I'm past that. I did other experiments using the height of hooks and 5-point patches. Here is one of my various tries. I will do corrections on him now. (not this but my Ed model) can't say how much time I will have. I lately think I've been on the computer nonstop and should probably back away a little. But here is the other model I talked of:

Snoupei__sno_pee_.MOV