Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Welcome New Users

KBaer

Hello? I am so new to this, I don't even know if this is posting in the appropriate area. Anyhow, here goes. Hi everyone. I'm Dana and I'm an alcoholic. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have had A:M for about a year now but thanks to family, work, drama and music, I'm finding I have a REALLY SLOW learning curve. So, besides the manual that came with the program, where are some of you finding the best help to shorten your learning curve? Is there anyone in the Portland, OR area that tutors? Or, better yet, is there an A:M junkie who likes to help for free?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dana - and welcome to the forum. First off, Rodney is the moderator for this forum and he is the Mother Goose of AM land. Rodney, hats off to you, your help is always appreciated and can always be counted on.

Personally, I found that checking into the various forums here has been of tremendous value to me. Start out by reading some of the posts you find interesting and then using the search function at the top of the page to get specific info on the topic you are interested in. You'll be amazed at how many other users have already asked the same questions you will most likely encounter. The AM forums are filled with talented and helpful users, never lacking encouragement for novice and advanced users alike.

Hope this didn't come off like a commercial, but you couldn't have picked a better forum to immerse yourself in. Good luck and hope you crank out some awesome models pretty soon.

The first thing you need to do is go through all the tutorials in the book. I know you want to get right down to the meat of things, but as the saying goes, learn to crawl before you can walk...etc.

In terms of modeling a character, the fighter plane tutorial, excercise 10, and the giraffe tut, excercise 11 are very helpful. You need to get basic splinemanship down before doing anything. Again, browse the forum and do the book's excercises first.

Yeah, I know. And yes, you're right, I'm impatient. However, it seems to me that it would make sense for a tutorial that takes you through all the basic steps in progression:

1- model a simple character with colors and textures

2- create the needed basic skeleton to move and pose

3- create a simple movement/action

4- add background/scene showing how to relate and interact the character with it

That just seems like the path one would need to take to create an animation.

So, back to basics. I actually did start the book (mainly because I'm anal about following manuals) but due to schedule, kind of sluffed off. I need to establish a schedule so I don't forget what I learn.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

• Admin

Dana,

Glad to see you are posting and asking questions.

I agree completely with what Eric has said... don't follow the path I did... I'm still paying for it. Complete the exercises in the manual. You'll be really glad you did.

To address each of your specific areas

1- model a simple character with colors and textures

I might have once agreed with you here.

This is not impossible but the problem here is... what kind of simple character?

There are so many types and flavors of character...

The easiest simple character to build would be one made out of lathed cylinders and spheres... but that really isn't what you want... you want a character.

What I'd suggest is to grab a model from off of the CD and take it apart.

Copy parts and paste them into other areas of 3D space... drag CPs around... stitch in splines.... then delete the whole thing and start from scratch.

Don't be afraid to experiment... we learn best by making mistakes.

Make lots of mistakes! :)

2- create the needed basic skeleton to move and pose

This approach can be a successful one for some people. I don't recommend it though. It is far better to grab the 2001 skeleton from the A:M CD and move it into your character as outlined in the manual.

It can be hard enough to add a premade rig/skeleton to a model.

Being able to consistently add a rig to a model will be a very useful skill later when you learn how to build your own.

Seeing what works (and perhaps doesn't work) in the 2001 rig will help you to better understand what will make your own rigs work in characters later.

3- create a simple movement/action

I'm not sure what you mean exactly but I assume the basics of path constraint animation, rotations etc. The manual covers all this and more.

One thing the manual doesn't cover currently that you should investigate is animated distortion... that will not only prove useful... but is extremely fun! :)

4- add background/scene showing how to relate and interact the character with it

There are various levels that this can reach. I tend toward the simple side while the experts measure distances, recreate lighting, watch shadows carefully, etc etc.

The easiest way to learn this however is just to dive in and test it for yourself.

Render out a still image (or even an animated sequence) with the Alpha Channel turned on. Then bring that image back into A:M as a Rotoscope... a Layer... a Decal on a model/patch... render to see the results

Rinse and repeat. :)

The manual is great... tutorials are great...

...but nothing but nothing beats diving in and seeing what the options produce when you try them for the first (and second... and third... ) time.

Best,

Rodney

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well then. I guess I have been lurking around in the shadows long enough,

time I introduced myself. My name is Jeff Scruggs, JD if you will. I am 43

married two kids 14 and 19 (married young, 22 years now)

and I live in a van down by the river, oh, wait that’s matt Foley,

sorry couldn't resist. I live in the Chicago suburb of Wheaton IL.

I have been a design engineer for quite some time now, using

mostly 3D high end packages (Pro-E) but try not to hold that

against me LOL. I have never done any animation with the

exception of assembly movement in the cad packages.

I just bought AM after wizard world last month, I look forward

to absorbing as much as I can from this great forum and hope

to show my stuff to everyone here. I have several of the lessons

completed and will be putting them up for your enjoyment.

With what I have been seeing it will be a challenge to keep

with some of you. Anyway getting a little long winded here.

Thanks for all your gracious welcomes.

More later.

Thanks JD

:D

• Admin

Jeff (JD),

Greetings from another Illinois native (well... I'm from there at least and most of my family still lives there).

It sounds like you bring a good foundation of skills with you as you take the plunge into 3D Character Animation. That should serve you well.

Make yourself at home.

I think perhaps now more than ever is the best time to be an Animation:Master user.

Welcome to the A:M Community.

Rodney

Hello there everyone,

My name is Michel Dani, my friends call me Mish.

I've had AM for around 2 years now, but i haven't done anything really serious with it.

I've been using 3DS max at work, so i'm not that new to the 3D world.

I bought AM because of all the reviews i've read about it, and i think it's great except for one problem, the crashing!!!!!!!

This is the only piece of final arwork i've done so far:

[attachmentid=9695]

It's the logo of the lebanese army. (i'm not in the army by the way :D)

I'm working on some other stuff but this forum is new to me and i would like to share my WIPs.

I'm going to go through the tutorials from the beginning, because i find that i'm not that familiar with the software yet.

Michel Dani.

Art Director.

Grey Worldwide MENA

post-1630-1128323328_thumb.jpg

To all the new users that haven't yet introduced yourselves... please do.

Ok I will

It's about time I stepped out of the shadows anyway...You can't move in those damn shadows for people lurking there.

Hi! :D I always wanted to be an animator but it was shunned at college. I got established as an illustrator and life took over....then flash happened...Great! Then a bloke in a cafe in Camberwell (that's Sarf Lundun to the uninitiated) told me about A:M...I rushed straight out and bought it...& left it on a shelf for two years. A combination of flinging myself off a motorbike into the path of an oncoming bus...breaking up with long term latin lover...you know the kind of thing...

ANYWAY I'm back....I have my sleeves rolled up and I'm VERY EXCITED about it

Just posted my first ever model to the newbies bit (Giraffe..tricky and brain twistingly frustrating... but fun) now I'm doing the plane which is A LOT easier....I KNOW I KNOW...wrong way round...my autobiography will probably be called 'Walking in the door backwards'

Look forward to....well, all of it. And getting to know some other Hashoids. Anyone else in London?

Trevor

• Admin

Michel (Mish),

I like your logo/shield. I want to learn Arabic so the text part really caught my attention. :)

If you have stability issues don't be shy about posting your questions just keep in mind there is a place especially designed for posting trouble reports. A:M Reports is the place that will get the problems seen by the guys that can work the fixes.

If you haven't already found it here is a link: A:M Reports

You said:

I'm working on some other stuff but this forum is new to me and i would like to share my WIPs.

By all means please do! :)

Trevor,

I've seen your other posts but certainly had no idea of the long path you've taken to get to where you are now. I've never been run over by a bus(!) but that sounds entirely too painful. Hope you are fully recovered.

You are definitely on the right track in tackling the exercises in TAoAM.

Welcome to you both Mish and Trevor!

Rodney

Any other lurkers out there ready to come out of the shadows? :)

I've never been run over by a bus(!) but that sounds entirely too painful. Hope you are fully recovered.

You are definitely on the right track in tackling the exercises in TAoAM.

i am but the bike was totalled...not sure if it was painful as i was out cold for a bit

Thanks for the encouragement... feel like I have the bit between my teeth and it make such a difference to have your forum to post to...you're doing a fine job

I've started modelling my characters in fimo/plasticine so that i can translate them into 3D more easily...can't wait to get started on that

Trevor

concerning the arabic part, it means "honor" "sacrifice" "loyalty".

but you have to read it from right to left!

Should i post my work that's not related to the tutorials on another forum section?

and when i do finish some lessons from the tutorials, should i post them on this one?

one more question... why does it say newbie under my picture? and how do i change that?

• Admin

Mish,

You should consider starting a Work In Progress (WIP) in that area of the forum.

You could then post your work and ask for feedback there.

The preferred place to post the results from your TAoAM exercises is in the individual Exercise areas.

It can be a little confusing at the beginning but following this link would get you going:

The Art of Animation:Master (Online Certification and Information)

Concerning the 'Newbie' tag. It'll stay there until you get involved in the forum (200 posts or more).

So completing the TAoAM exercises and posting your WIPs should just about do it. :)

Best,

Rodney

Hello Mish; ahlayn u sahlayn u marhabtayn ;)

I'm originally from Baghdad. I lived a couple of years in Beirut (1973-1975), most beautiful years of my life.

Just wanted to introduce myself to you and welcome you to A:M.

Wish you all the success.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

My name is Aparna Chakraborty. I'm from calcutta, India.

I got interested in A:M recently. It's a very nice and user friendly software. So I want to learn it and I plan to follow the course path suggested in this forum.

Aparna

• Admin

Arpana,

I've already said hello in a way after your Exercise 1 post but here is an official "Hello" here.

It's great to see Animation:Master is making inroads in India.

While I don't know how many A:M Users might be active there I hope you find yourself in a welcome commnunity of animators there. I know you'll be welcome here.

So... Welcome to the A:M Community!

Rodney

Hi.

I am Sanjib Chakraborty from Calcutta, India

My Friend Satyajit Chakraborty told me about Animation Master. And he also informed me about this forum & exercises. I think this software is very user friendly & and these exercises are also very usefull if anybody want to make a Animation movie. I want to complete these exercises.

Sanjib Chakraborty

Hi again,

Thanks Rodney for encouraging me. I will try my best to learn this software and also wait for your suggestions.

Sanjib is also my friend. We are learning A:M together taking tips from Satyajit.

Aparna

• Admin
Sanjib is also my friend. We are learning A:M together taking tips from Satyajit.

Animating is fun... animating with friends... now that is something to be happy about. :)

Glad to see you've all started in on the TAoA:M Exercises..

Rodney

I just got my copy of Animation Master two weeks ago, but unfortunately, many of the fun and basic tutoral functions outstrip my pitiful little system. (I'm primarily a writer, so all I ever needed to run before was "Final Draft".) It's sort of telling when you call tech support, ask "Am I doing something wrong?", and there is just the long Moment-of-Pitying-Silence on the other end after the helpful person involved has managed to discover exactly how insignificant your video card is. Sigh . . .

Still, I am not giving up and am now shopping for a new system. Until I get it, I am contenting myself with sketching on engineering graph paper the front and side views of models I want to create. Also, kindly programmer buddies have come to educate me about what exactly I want in a system.

Of course, if you had to build a system from scratch just to run A:M on, what would you get?

Lurkers, you are included in the conversation too!

• Admin

Meow, (interesting name BTW!) ;)

Hang in there it gets better.

I can't really answer your query about computer systems but there are plenty here in the forum that not only can but will. I generally just buy something cheap and >cringe

I've lost most of whatever tech savy I used to have.

As a writer you have an edge that many animators don't in storytelling.

Good luck to you on your animated endeavors.

...and welcome to the A:M Community!

Rodney

Just a quick hello.......today was great day ...when AM arrived at my doorstop. Thrilled to be be in the community ....and am working on exercises from the manual which IMHO is very good. Matched with web videos makes for a very good introduction to the basics. Funny read some reviews of folks before buying and manual or lack of a more detailed one by some opinion was a negative. Well Im not sure where they have been last few years but to get a manual (hard copy and color) matched with video tuts is pretty sweet in my book.

Anyhow having a blast .....with AM and Kudos to Martin and crew for putting out such a robust application and web community. (Kudos to the community as well!)

:D:D:D

Motility!

Slow Down Man! You're scarin' me! Jumping through exercises like each one is the next level in DOOM or something...

Whew! You're gonna wear out your CD!

Welcome aboard... I just happened to notice how you're zippin' thru stuff and, well, I just had to say something! At the rate you're going you'll be able to join in the TWO movie project by next weekend or so!

Keep up the good work (and don't forget to sleep every once in a while and eat your vegetables, too! Kay?)!

Oakchas,

Thx for for your welcome and noticing some of the exercises....lol.....Yes I had a lot of free time on weekend so went head first .......but the exercises do get progressively difficult so I will have time to eat some vegies and even sleep. AM is serious a blast ...and have to work a tad getting the modeling "ways" down but overall I have been extremely pleased with its capabilities if not my own ...lol ---- but that is why we are called newbies.

:D

Hey, I recieved the newest installment of 'Animation Master' from a friend.

So far it's taken me a while to figure out, and I still have many questions.

I am relieved that there are so many people on this site who will help me

figure it all out. Thanx! :lol:

Hi! I just purchased A:M 2005 last week, got it installed and upgraded and am just starting on the first tutorials. I get paid to build and manage networks, but I want to animate for fun. I'll probably wear out my welcome with all of the questions I'm going to have. Looking forward to getting to know you folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am sort of lost in a jungle looking for the right 3D program for me. Every site says theirs are the best, naturally. Animation master really looks like it might be the one but since no education version are available or trial persio it is hard to compare different features.

Could someone point me in the right direction for a comparison between 3D programs?

Probably will end up here but well... it is quite a bit of money... so I'd like to be sure I make the right choice.

Also, can't find information on shipping times and costs to Norway (or anywhere for that matter)

Grateful for help and looking forward to probably coming back here a lot in the future

Trine

• Admin

A belated "Greetings" to Kai and Adontech! Sorry I thought I'd already welcomed you.

Trine,

You are right, programs will almost always claim they are the best. Except... Except... Except... Animation:Master!

I don't think Hash Inc claims that.

They do claim to be "Software that even an artist can afford".

They do claim to be "a complete 3D animation program. Everything you need."

They do claim to "sell more copies of Animation:Master than ALL OTHER 3D applications COMBINED."

... and the list goes on.

I have heard Hash Inc tell people that their software wasn't for some people. Yeah.. sounded strange to me too at first. Its truth though.

Its hard to make purchasing decisions (for good reason!) but see what is there... understand that Hash Inc is committed to the task... try A:M and see for yourself.

You not only won't regret it... you will be one very happy A:M User.

Regardless of your choice I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Rodney

Note: Text in quotes above is not verbatim... just from memory.

Thanks for your reply. :D One other question. many people say that the main problem is that every program usues file formats that can't be used in connection with others. What will be the challenge when or LOL if I'm able to make small nice animated films? Can I use them in combination with flash? show them to my students easily(am a teacher), put them on a web site etc .... what are the limitations with AM?

Trine

who LOL am rather hooked just by watching the tutorials and A.M films.

btw Will there be a newer manual and/or books available on AM 2005. Am a paper bookish person myself.

• Admin

Working sorta in reverse order here...

Will there be a newer manual and/or books available on AM 2005.

There already is a new manual for 2005.

There is scheduled to be a newer manual for 2006.

The next manual probably isn't going to go to press until mid 2006 but... I don't know.

For an official answer send an email to: steve@hash.com

many people say that the main problem is that every program usues file formats that can't be used in connection with others. What will be the challenge when or LOL if I'm able to make small nice animated films?

Staying the course. If you are like me you will get distracted too much.

Develop a plan and stick to it! Keep things simple always... get more complicated with each effort.

Can I use them in combination with flash?

Yes. Once you render an image you can use them in flash or any other of a host of graphics programs.

show them to my students easily(am a teacher)?

Yes!

put them on a web site etc?

Yes! A:M Supports PNG and JPG formats that are web friendly.

I often convert animations to GIF which is not natively supported by A:M. There are many freeware and comercial ways to make the conversion.

.... what are the limitations with AM?

Wow... well... there must be literally millions of limitations. :D

Where to start. The biggest limitation you'll run into is that of incompatibility with polygon modelers.

If you don't need polygon modelers this isn't a limitation. For example... it isn't for me.

Rodney

thanks. now I only need to find out shipping costs and possibly taxes to Norway. Got a nasty surprise when my son added a plane together with a book shipment from RAF museum in UK. Lots of time and money to get it from costoms. Books are tax free I know - must check out software.

Tried to search for it in Norway on all the major search engines. Got only 2 hits - one was a comment in a chat and the other was a book on AM 2002. rather strange that I, a rather fossil mum and teacher find this great program and no one else in Norway is selling or talking about it on the net. very strange indeed. <_<

Looking forward to impressing teenage kids and students alike with animated films :D

Trine

• Admin

Trine,

Maybe post a message in this or the main Animation:Master forum area with "Wanting to buy from Norway" as the title. There are more than a few A:M Users in that part of the world that should be able to answer your purchasing questions.

Rodney

Hi there!

I'm a potential newbie.

My name is Eric, from Singapore. I'm a biology teacher and I was thinking of learning to do some 3D animation, to help a bit in my teaching. I've been trying out some free stuff like Blender but the learning curve was a bit too steep for me. Got myself a free version of C4D with a magazine some time back, but it only renders lo-res. Hope to find A:M easier to use. Seems so, from what I read in this forum. And it's cheaper than anything else I see out there too. I liked C4D a lot but it's too costly for me if you want all the add-ons. Thinking of ordering the A:M2006 CD next year. May I ask a few questions:

1. I know that I have to insert the CD to start the program, and that I can take it out after that, but can I leave it out when I perform the final rendering? (Does the program need to pick up stuff from the CD during the rendering process?)

2. Am I still eligible for the $99 upgrades if I skipped some years?

3. Is it possible to buy a replacement CD with the same serial number if I lose or break the original? How much?

4. Can I use A:M to prepare interactive web content for upload into an online e-learning website? Do I need to purchase additional software? How much?

5. Is it convenient to use A:M on a TabletPC, using a stylus pen only, instead of the mouse and keyboard. (Can everything be accessed with just pointer clicks without using any shortcut keys, especially when modelling.)

(Sorry if these questions have been asked before.) Thanks.

Eric.

• Admin

Eric,

Hope you find the solution you are looking for.

I think you will be pleased with Animation:Master.

My attempt to answer your questions:

1. I know that I have to insert the CD to start the program, and that I can take it out after that, but can I leave it out when I perform the final rendering? (Does the program need to pick up stuff from the CD during the rendering process?)

No. You do not need the CD in to render.

But... you will want to make sure any project you are working on does not require resources that are on the CD (e.g. Characters, actions, textures, etc). Easy fix if they are there though... just make sure you copy them to harddrive before you take out the CD. Note: When installing A:M an option will present itself to copy the CD Data to harddrive. I (almost always) check that!

2. Am I still eligible for the $99 upgrades if I skipped some years?

Yes!

3. Is it possible to buy a replacement CD with the same serial number if I lose or break the original? How much?

Yes (I think). I don't know specifics about serial numbers but I'm reasonably sure you will use the same one. Contact Hash Inc for more information.

4. Can I use A:M to prepare interactive web content for upload into an online e-learning website? Do I need to purchase additional software? How much?

Not enough info to answer.

The short answer is "Yes" you can. Any imagery you make with Animation:Master can be used on a website.

You may need additional software to optimize your web developing of course as Animation:Master isn't a web development solution. You'll see some great things in the future on the interactive side of things with A:M though!

5. Is it convenient to use A:M on a TabletPC, using a stylus pen only, instead of the mouse and keyboard. (Can everything be accessed with just pointer clicks without using any shortcut keys, especially when modelling.)

I use a laptop... I can't say about Tablet PCs.

I have often used a stylus pen. You'll probably want a keyboard for all the shortcuts that you can use.

I prefer a full fledged desktop but my laptop works fine.

Thats my take on it.

Rodney

Hello. My hat goes out to the developers of A:M and everyone that helps make these forums a reality.

A week ago, I had never even heard of Animation Master. My scope of 3D software was limited to Lightwave, Maya, and friends...man was i missin out! I ran into the A:M booth at NAB Post in New York and after a coupla demos, I was sold. My background is in video production, mainly non-linear editing, motion graphics, and visual effects...I never really had the time to dive into 3D land, let alone pay thousands of dollars, etc...now i've graduated college, currently in the inbetween lookin for a real job, and have time to spare - needless to say, A:M came into my life at the perfect time.

So i spent the whole week going through the Art of Animation Master manual and online video tutorials (at times in utter glee, while others banging my head on the computer trying to force my brain to think outside of the 2D box)...I'm glad i went through all the excercises as they gave me a nice overview of the depths of A:M...but some lessons drove me nuts (for example the giraffe) since the instructions were too vague at times....however, I enjoyed the challenge. For me, the real manual exists online on these forums...i've also ordered the A:M Quickstart 2 and Siggraph Training videos as supplements...

It dawned on me that learning all this useful info will only stick if I have a project to apply them to. So I've decided to put together a little online-based multimedia cartoon (I'll post the link soon so stay tuned). I fell in love with the toon renderer and want to learn the best ways to optimize that look...I'm sure I will have a ton of questions so bare with me. First off, is there any way to use video or an image sequence as a decal, or maybe project video through a light (like in Lightwave)...thas all for now, sorry for the essay format...i'll try to be more concise next time. Thanks again and I look forward to the wonders ahead...

ronny

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to A:M, the most powerful animation software in our world!

First off, is there any way to use video or an image sequence as a decal, or maybe project video through a light (like in Lightwave)

Both are possible. For best results convert your video to a targa sequence and import that as an "image sequence" into your images folder. After that you use it like any other decal.

Hey Opticalflow.....You are so right about the depth of AM......being a newbie myselff ...It does seem like sometimes peering down into a bottomless pit indeed......And for sure the more I learn the more I realize how little I know..how far to go......however it is journey well worth taking. :D

Well, since I'm posting here a few times, I may as well introduce myself.

I'm a programmer mostly, but the head of the company I work with found A:M and said (in summary) "this looks good. can we use it to make new products?" I had to agree and suddenly I found myself an animator.

I'm currently in the process of trying to animate a dozen 5 minute educational videos. It's been a challenge. Part of the challenge is figuring out what paths to take. Some of the debate here makes it hard (start a religious war by asking about dope sheets).

Frankly, I have nothing to compare A:M to, but I'm happy that all the files are text. I've already had some fun writing programs to do some repetitive tasks in changing the files.