Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

'STONES' 30 sec WIP

We were talking about 'cheap/free' website providers up in the 'Animation:Master' forum (http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10540) and someone spilled the beens about 'Dreamhost's 7 year anniversary sale. Next thing I knew I have a new host with (hopefully) a lot more bandwidth and a lot less pop-ups... So far so good...best $9.24 I've spent in a long while.

So now I need to throw a little foottraffic at it to see how it holds-up.

I put a 'WIP' 30 second render (4.5mb) windows media file (eventually, it will be streaming Quicktime) of my 'The Rolling Stones' animation which is still being rendered and tweeked...anyhow, there's some lip-synch and rockin and rollin there if you care to have a look. At D1 resolution, all in camera...this is taking 17min/ave per frame... hair takes a long time to render!

When done, I hope to put it on A:M films...if there isn't a 'copyright-infringement' on the music...what do you think Steve Sappington?

Here's the link...the webpage is WIP too... feel free to comment/critique/crap-on

http://www.campbellanimation.com/

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John,

Seems to have worked for me just fine. I have a high speed connection and it took a minute or two before it started playing, but otherwise seems like everything is just fine.

I really like the Animation too!

Cheers,

Eugene

Hi Matt,

The file is named STONES.mov, but Quicktime can't read it. If it's an avi, you might have to change the extension. I can't download the file because it's presented through a Flash page. Windows Media Player can't open the url to it either. This is on a Mac, by the way.

Jim

Jim-

The file should be called drumtest1.avi...The whole site is a Flash thing, as I know enough Flash to cause havoc and nothing of html... Are you using WinMedPlyrV10? This could be a mac/pc thing...which is why I plan to eventually publish using QT

I'll be reworking everything soon, sorry. MC

Try this as a direct link:

http://www.campbellanimation.com/drumtest1.avi

Looking good!

I'm a true Stones fan, and I really think you are really starting to capture the spirit of the band in your characters. I can't wait to see more refined movements and a full length version. Hair looks good!

Keep it up! Looks great!

PS: I have always wanted to animate a popular music group or artist.... Your video makes me want to dust off that Jimi model I started to spline a couple of years ago....

Rock on... uh, I mean... Animate on!

Thanks Joseph- yes, Elvis...Beatles, Jimi...the list goes on...all fair game until the lawyers speak-up...

The whole song? No way! More refined actions? Nope... I've 'dinked' this to death and need to put it to bed...this is the motion. I do have a 'bookend' idea to set up the scenario and end it with a 'Alien-Song-ish' bang... stay tuned.

WOW! That's damn good! The little details you have in the moves are great!

How long is the final animation going to be, the entire song??

For comedic reasons I think there should be a SERIOUS amount of smoke coming out of his ciggy...

A few leg cuts through quitars, but you probably see that already. The bass drum looks like it's hitting maybe 1 or 2 frames to early- I figure you're wanting it to come in sharp and maybe pre- the sound a little bit, but it looks a *tad* too early to me. IMO.

I'm curious why there's no bass line given to the bass player- or is this demonstratig my lack of Stones' knowledge in that among the main members, no one plays bass...

Not much of a fan of the stones... but your animation will be a keeper when you get done! B)

DearMad- The Rolling Stones were traditionally a 5 man band with Bill Wyman on bass. Bill was 29 in 1963 when the band first started and was made to appear younger so the band could appeal to the 'teenyboppers', the rest of the band was in their early 20's...

Bill stayed with the band until 1993 when he retired for personal reasons. Nowadays, the band uses Darryl Jones, a young black man, on bass but do not consider him an actual 'Rolling Stone'. Promotional items for the band list Mick Jagger, Kieth Richards, and Charlie Watts (all original band members) and Ronnie Wood on 2nd fiddle who joined the band in 1976 leaving Rod Stewart and the Faces. Ronnie Wood replaced Mick Taylor, who had blown a hole in his nose with cocaine and left for 'personal reasons'. In 1969 Mick Taylor took over for Brian Jones, the original 2nd guitarist who was found dead in his swimming pool.

The Stones. now all well into their 60's, are rumored to be releasing an album and tour in 2005. If you get a chance- see them!

Yup- I'm a big fan!

EDIT: I JUST REWORKED THE SITE, NOW IT IS A QUICKTIME MOVIE...ITS SUPPOSED TO STREAM BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THAT TO WORK...

WHATS THE TRICK TO STREAMING VIDEO? I AM USING QTPro...SELF-CONTAINING THE MOVIES...Sorenson2... maybe my server is the issue...

John,

Excellent doesn't even come close to saying how great it is.

WOW (I can even say it backwards WOW).

You really should contact the real band and see if they want it on their web site.

How did you do the watermark/logo in the right corner?

David

How did you do the watermark/logo in the right corner?

David- Thanks! The logo in the corner is just a file I made in Photoshop and layered on top of the animation in AfterEffects. And tho it's barely visible, I ran a light sheen across it...a trick I've done in hundreds of TV commercials.

Hi John

I have been watching your stones animation taking shape since you first posting (being a long time stones fan my self) and I have just seen the stage that your at now with it on your site (which works well for me by the way) and I just had to say very very well done cant wait to see more

Raymond