Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Animation:Master Technical Reference V11

myAM

Animation:Master Technical Reference V11

I was looking for the latest "HOW TO BOOKS" out there and this one above appears to be the latest.

I was wondering if it is elegant enough to guide one for a WIP project ? Also how many copies did the author sell? --- that would some what imply if it is widely acclaimed and adored or not?:huh:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

MyAM,

Don't fret... you've got a great resource there.

I don't know the sales figures... I'm sure Will Sutton does.

I do know he hit 250 or so pretty soon after offering it for sale. That was something like six months ago.

Considering the active A:M user base here in the forum I'd say that's pretty good.

From the conversations I've had with Will, I know putting the book together was a labor of love for him. He really wanted to provide the community with the information they needed in a format easy to carry around.

I think he accomplished that.

Concerning the online Tech Ref... that is nice too.

I use both the online and paperback Tech Refs. Mostly the online when online... and the book when offline. Makes sense no?

Will also added some things you won't find in the online version.

My only critique of the book is something Will is well aware of... the index could be easier to navigate. That doesn't detract from it's usefulness that much. A refined index would make it a treasure.

As far as assisting with a WIP... it can... but mostly for troubleshooting.

It isn't set up as a step-by-step or tutorial type book. It is as the title suggests: a technical reference.

My 2 cents.

As far as the link to the online Help/Tech Ref check here: Online Reference

Edited by Rodney

There used to be complaints that the manual that ships with the program did not have all of the in-depth info on all of the settings and stuff. All of that information is in the HELP file (which you have on your CD, and is also online).

So Last year, I formatted all of that information into book form, with the blessing of Hash,Inc. for a print-on-demand book. This gives the user the option of having a printed copy of the reference, which in my opinion is easier to read than sitting in front of your computer reading the helpfile...

All of this information is available for free. The Printed version is available for $23.98 (this is to cover the cost of printing it and the storefront that makes it available).

If you are using V11.1, then ignore the first section on INTERFACE--those features are no longer current. The rest is still the same for 11.1

I will do a new version of the printed Technical Reference (actually working on it now) to be available with V12 in 2005. [Rodney, it will have a bigger index]

The number of copies sold, is small--you have to remember that this is print-on-demand and it is only marketed to this community (and only by word-of-mouth, and a hyperlink in my signature, and a link on the ARM[thanks Vern])... The total for the year (the question you asked) was about 460 copies, about 10% of the community.

I, for one, bought your book Will. I think its great. I mean, i rather look at learning material in either a hardcopy or visual (i mean moving video showing how to do something) than reading something on the computer.

I'm happy with it..its unfortunate it hasnt sold to your expections...

OH! I misread! Sorry about that!

Sooo...I must say "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" :)

oh, i 'think' (I am awaiting confirmation) i ordered the siggraph 2004 training videos. I am looking forward to checking out your gorrila tutorial.

Are the HASH offices closed till next year??

ANYONE !! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for replying so late, been eXtremely busy.

I had 1 other query. :unsure:

I have AM 9.5 & 10.5....

.....so should I wait for the Animation:Master Technical Reference of 2005 to come out or should I just get the old one?