Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

JTHM in progress

Fashmir

Hey gang,

Been a long time since I haunted this community. I've been playing with splines and decided to get some feedback. I like this character and thought it might be fun to model. I still have to texture him, everything you see here is patch colored geometry and toon shading.

Dave

post-7-1103531903.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, Thanks Luckbat. I think it's the chin area. Looks a little like Mr. MaGoo. I still need to add the stubble to his shaven head and clothing details. This character is kind of tricky as he is drawn in the comic in so many different ways. I'm thinking I may end up making several swap-out heads ala Jack Skelington for the different shapes of eyes and mouth. I might try sculpting some poses first and see how close I can get.

Thanks for the feedback.

D

Yeah, it's tricky, especially since Jhonen never gave the poor guy a neck!

Here's something: it looks like his nose is off. The artwork varies, obviously, but Johnny seems to have a beak-shaped nose most of the time. Here's an example.

Also, his eyes are rarely perfectly round like that. They've usually got a straight line along the top or bottom.

Keep at it! The world awaits JTHM: The Animated Series...

Once I finish the surfacing I'll start working on setting up some pose sliders to handle eye shape. Jhonen draws Johnny with vastly differing eye shapes to get that special insanity. I thought starting with the big round versions was a fair jumping off spot. I have yet to put any bones or constraints in.

Cheers,

D

Ok so I decided to mess with posing him up before texturing so I could see if I needed to make any geometry changes to get what I'm looking for. Here's a test pose. C'mon don't be shy. I see how many are looking at the thing and two people have commented (bless ya lads). So does it suck or does me breath stink?!? heh just kiddin' people.

D

post-7-1103612504.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I especially like the wrinkly knees. Those help to make it look less CG.

I like the whole design of the character, but I don't like the way the face is coming out in the renders. it ends up looking too complicated, because of the way the shade line is so broken. How about good ole' flat toon shading for the face (no gradient)?

I like the design :) congratulations!

Yeah, that wrinkly knees help to make him less CG. Also, I was thinking it would seem even less CG if you tweak a little the knees so there's less symmetry between legs and their sides.

In my humble opinion, I guess you could simplify the geommetry by deleting some horizontal splines in his torso and body, what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...