Hash, Inc. Forums

Another lip sync test

After rigging up one of my character's (his name is Bertram) face using a slightly modified version of Victor Navone's face rig (thanks for sharing Victor and thanks to Shaun Freeman for providing a downloadable example), I wanted to see if the changes I made would work before moving on to other things. At first I just did a bunch of facial expressions, but I found that my timing needs loads of work. I decided to try a lip sync test so that I'd have a guide to go by. I've used this as a way to try to get better at animating, feel free to C&C I'm sure I could use it.

Anyway, here's a final render of the test that I thought I'd throw out since so many others have shared theirs recently. Only the face itself is animated, there is no body or head movement...it's not much. Initially it was a Quicktime zipped up, but, I was having trouble getting the file to download, so I decreased the size by making it a zipped up DivX file.

• Hash Fellow

That looks promising! :)

I don't do any facial stuff yet, so I don't have much advice. One thing I notice is that a feature (like an eyebrow) will sometimes travel to a new pose and stay absolutely motionless there, which appears odd.

But I think that is something you'd refine out as you made more passes at it.

A lot of that wouldn't even be noticed if this were a full body shot with "acting" and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks right on...you can even see the toungue flappin around in there! GREAT!

Here's my only crit: It's a cartoon character that you obviously 'tooned'-up, meaning you exagerrated some characteristics and minimized others. That lip-synch is pretty technically perfect, as in it would look good on a realistic person, but since this is a 'toon, why not over-exaggerate some of the extremes of the mouth. An obvious way to start is the open pose when he talks louder could be a lot more open, or open wider on one side- and the 'more-open' mouth could make the entire face/jaw distort further as well. As you put your character into motion ie: walking and talking, the camera will not be as 'honed' on the mouth and thoe subtle actions will be lost whereas extremes won't.

Just my 2 tits...er-bits! From one 'tooner to another.

This is great work David, like John said, maybe exaggerate it to a level more in keeping with its cartoony appearance. But it's meticulous especially the tongue movement.

I just spent some time yesterday looking at your eyeball tute and I'm going to use it on a character I'm modeling. Great work and I appreciate the time you put into putting the tute together.

I look forward to your additional work on this lipsync test.

Thanks for the input, guys. If the tongue weren't visible because of Bertram's missing tooth I might've been able to cheat a little, but, it's good for me to practice that as well. I'm doing some tweaking to the rig, increasing some of the pose percentages and some general experimentation...I should have something new posted in a few days.

I'm glad you found the eye tutorial useful, Gerry. I don't get much in the way of feedback on it, so it's cool when I find out it helped someone. When I get things finalized on Bertram I'll definitely show my work on that as well...I've got a pretty involved animation planned for him.

You can see what I've got so far in my WIP thread on this new model. I've been wondering how detailed to make the inside of the mouth, teeth, tongue, etc.

I'm working on the eyes now. Yes, it's a very cool tute and if I don't like one eyeball I just trash it and build another one goshdarn it! Takes five minutes.

If you need to make some quick iris' for the eye, I have a Script-Fu for GIMP. I tried to get it posted on the GIMP Users Group site, but it never got listed for some reason. I'll post it here for anyone that might want it as well.

To use the script (after unzipping the file), put it (irismap.scm) in the scripts folder in the GIMP directory...on Windows XP it would be something like "c:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts". Once the script is in the correct folder, you can start GIMP and use the script by going to "Xtns\Script-Fu\Misc\irismap". On the menu that comes up, all of the listed variables can be edited by clicking on them. The default settings make one brown iris that is 400 pixels wide and 400 pixels in height with a background color of a version of purple (200, 0, 200). If you uncheck the "flattenlayers" button, the image will have twelve separate layers (so you can tweak individual layers before "flattening" the image). If you want to save your original iris with its' layers separated, you'll want to make it an XCF file. To save the file as one layer for using in Animation Master, you'll have to "flatten" the image by using the "Flatten Image" tool in the image's "Layers" menu. GIMP will use the color you have selected as the background color in your color picker as the background for the flattened image. Using this script you can only get an oval iris and pupil, but they don't have to be perfect circles. The smallest overall iris size this script can make is 400x400 with a minimum pupil size of 125x125...the maximum overall size and pupil size is 9999x9999 at the moment but that was an arbitrary limit I put on it, you can change that size by changing the setting in the Script-Fu if you have a need for a larger iris.

Once I get a website up I'll have a home for this script, for now, here it is.

------------------------------------------

Edit

------------------------------------------

This script works with GIMP 2.0.4, and probably any other GIMP 2.0 versions. For a 2.2 version, check later in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I took longer getting to it than I thought, but, here's an update. There's more cheek movement, nose movement, hairline movement, a bump map for forehead creasing (which really isn't visible in this small of a render, unfortunately), a little different CP weighting and some pose increases. I go back and forth about whether it's enough exaggeration and whether I should increase the hairline movement...anyway, crits are appreciated. Once again, it's a zipped up DivX encoded AVI.

In the interest of showing my work, here's a project file that has Bertram's face rig for the bones below the eyebrows along with the audio file (reduced in quality for size) and the face test Action. My animating skills are still in need of work, so please forgive my awkward use of the timeline...I included the actual Action to help illustrate how I used the rig.

As always, critiques are appreciated.

I really liked it. Man, all of you guys are so damned good! I can't even make a human face... I keep trying but there's always SOMETHING wrong... or actually MOST of it is wrong :P

btw, anyone got ANY sugestions for a "magic" tutorial for total n00bs? I've viewed the ones at hash.com, but they havn't tought me much about facemaking.

But that character of yours is really great! I wanna see him in a movie!

Thanks Joakim, I'm going to have Bertram in a 2-3 minute animation once I get everything working the way I want...I'm slow, so it might be a while. I was hoping to get it done by the beginning of March, but I probably won't make that deadline. I'm going to consider the face done at this point, that was one of my major concerns since I had never done anything this extensive before. The setup is available for download in my previous post (feel free to critique). Also, if you use GIMP, in this topic is a Script-Fu for making an iris (feel free to critique that as well).

There's not really a "magic" tutorial, but have you gone through Colin's tutorial at http://www.colins-loft.net/new_coop_tutorial/tutorials.html?

There's also a good video tute that is older at http://www.shimmyo.com/face_tute.php that might help you.

Another good one is located at http://www.ovis.net/~cgroves/tips/toonhead/toonhead1.htm.

If those don't help, you might consider buying the face modeling video from Anzovin...it's at http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/modelfacecd.html. They have quite a few videos that you might find helpful.

Okay, I went back and looked at the bones project and found some eyebrow poses and stuff still in there....so as not to confuse anyone, I cleaned it up and here's a reposting of the same project. I don't think I've ever posted anything right the first time.

Here's a rough explanation of the face rig...it may be a little haphazard though. This is a zipped up web page with accompanying files, unzip it to a folder of it's own if you don't want bits of it rolling around on the floor. Once you point your browser at the folder, open the "riggingface.html".

--------------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------------

I have updated the zip file to include the CP weighting. Since I have exceeded the file size limt, I have had to put up two zip files...they are later in this thread now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really impressed with the rigging you did here. The additions you made are very useful and solve some of the problems that made me abandon this method in favor of muscle poses.

Thanks for posting the rig and tutorial! That was a ton of work to do, I'm sure.

Would you be willing to post a screen shot of the model in "bones mode" showing the CP weighting (the fancy-colored weight distribution shot)?

Mark

Would you be willing to post a screen shot of the model in "bones mode" showing the CP weighting (the fancy-colored weight distribution shot)?

Sure, I'll put something up either today or tomorrow....more likely, it'll be very late Sunday night/early Monday morning.

Sorry about the quick off-hand response earlier, Mark...I was in a big hurry at the time. I don't get much feedback, so any response is greatly appreciated. I'm glad you and Joakim have found the rig useful.

Like I said, I'll probably add some to the web page that I have earlier in this thread...I'm thinking that an image showing the colors for the CP weights wouldn't tell you much since some of the shades are so similar (and wouldn't give you percentages), I'll probably just make some images with the weighting listed off to the side.

I've been debating showing how his forehead is rigged, but, I don't know if anyone in their right mind would do it that way. I had run into some problems with whatever version of v11 I was using at the time, and as a workaround, I used a bone for every CP with surface constraints tied to an invisible copy of Bertram's forehead. It made it pretty easy to change things around though, and I didn't have to worry about keyframing anything (other than 100% or -100% settings). Since it wasn't part of adapting the mouth rig, I exluded it...and because it might not be a sane method. In this case, it worked fine though.

I'll post something late tonight/early tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply, David, and for sharing your hard work.

The way you've organized everything in the project file and web page makes it easier to understand this rig. I look forward to digging in deeper and figuring out exactly what you've done, when I get a bit more time. It's really an amazing rigging job.

As for the forhead rig, you may be out of your mind but I'd still be interested in seeing what you did. Did you do it that way thinking you could achieve more realistic arcs of movement (as opposed to using muscle poses), or why?

I'll have some questions for you in the next few days if you don't mind.

Okay, I bumped up against the file size limit of the forums, so, the web page is now spread over two zip files. I'll post the first one here and the second one in my next post. Unzip both of the files to the same folder and point your browser at "riggingface.html".

Wow, you went way above and beyond the call of duty, David! Thanks so much for the detailed explanation of the CP weighting.

Just one problem now, though... How am I supposed to get my work done today with a gem like this to study? ;)

I'll get back to you after I dig into this more tonight.

Not a problem, Mark, I'll try to answer any questions you have.

The forehead rig happened because I ran into a problem with CP's locking up that I couldn't repeat with any regularity...I haven't had the problem since then though. I ended up putting a bone on each CP of the forehead and making poses that way. Once I checked the poses from the side, I saw that Bertram's head was caving in a little. I didn't want to go back and set keyframes and such, so, I copied Bertram's forehead, made it invisible and then constrained the forehead bones with a surface constraint to that. The benefit I got was that I didn't need to put in additional keyframes, I could just adjust the "translate to" constraints.

I'll try to put something up on the forehead setup in the next couple of days, but, I think the above explanation gets most of the idea across.

Not a problem, Joakim. If you need any more clarification, just let me know.

In the sample project file that you posted, are the lower lip controls disabled or is there some constraint that I have to turn on that I've missed? It appears they are all on, but the nulls don't translate when the lower lip sliders are moved.

Edited:

After playing with this more... now the lower lip controls appear to work. I have no idea why they work now and didn't the last few times I've used this file.

Also, the cheeks raise but won't do any I/O motion. And the nose will not raise. Any suggestions, David?

(I'm using version 11.0h)

Edited by strohbehn

The cheeks in/out is only a muscle movement...I negelected to take that out, it puffs out the cheeks, sorry about that. The tongue also has muscle movement for width and thickness which I neglected to remove...I tried to be thorough, just didn't get 100%.

To move the nose independently, you have to turn off the "nostril targeting".

In order to manipulate the lower lip completely independent from the jaw, the "lower lip to jaw" slider needs to be set to "0" (in the "jaw" folder)...or at least lower than 100% for some independence. I made this a percentage slider so that you can gradually reduce the influence of the jaw instead of having to turn it completely off...that would cause some annoying popping and be very noticeable. If you look in the Action file, you'll see that I gradually decrease the "lower lip to jaw" slider starting at 12:23 for the last 5:07 of the face test.

Occasionally I have things not work, but, I think it's because there's no geometry in the project...it's only every now and then, nothing really repeatable. I've had no problems with it when there is geometry. I'm presently using 11.0t.

Okay, here's the entire face including the forehead/eyebrow stuff with the same audio and Action file included again. I think I cleaned out everything that won't affect anything in this project...if anyone finds something, I'll go back and clean it out. I left in the "forehead plate" that the surface constraints are tied to (that might also get rid of any unpredictability with constraints working)...I left it set at 100% transparency like it is with the actual model. If there are any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Here's a simple project with a surface constraint similar to the forehead constraints in Bertram's head.

In the Action in the attached project, move the "surfaceaimtarget" bone to manipulate the "constrainedbone" while keeping the "surfaceaimtarget" bone's contact with the geometry (if you don't, the "constrainedbone" will jump to it's starting point).

I posted this here as an example to a question on surface constraints...and it applies to Bertram's forehead.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Rodney, I'm presently putting the video tutorial together...I've been pretty busy the past couple of weeks, but, I'll try to knock it out this week. I'm trying to keep it a small enough file so that it won't be too much for dialup, we'll see how successful I am.

• 1 month later...

Hey David,

Your pose folders are so well-organized and easy to follow, I was just wondering if this is due to a lot of preplanning on your part before creating the poses, or did you rearrange your poses into folders after-the-fact? If so, how'd you do it so everything still works?

Because I'm constantly tinkering, adding new poses and constraints, I end up with just a long laundry-list of unorganized poses.

Also, a video tutorial from you on how you did this rigging would be a huge benefit to everyone on this board. You've done a great job with Bertram's rig!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the thanks, I've improved this rig some since I made it and (hopefully) I'll have the tutorial up in a few days. I'll include a rigged head as well, that'll give you a better idea of the weighting and such. Sorry it has taken me so long...it's been hectic.

For organizing your poses, select your model in the PWS, go to the "Properties", expand the "Users properties", right mouse click and select "New Property/Folder"...that'll give you a sub-folder to put things in. You can drag the poses around in the "Users properties" to suit your needs by grabbing the box with the arrows on it to the left of the pose name. Hope that helps.

For anyone interested, I've posted a project with a rigged (and unrigged) head in it that will be the subject of the tutorial that I'm still putting together (I know, I'm taking forever). You can find it here:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13963

I will have the tutorial done soon.

• 3 months later...

Okay, for lack of a better place to put this...here's the update for the GIMP Script-Fu to make an iris for GIMP 2.2.8. Thanks to Keith White for giving me a heads up on the need to update this. Let me know if you have problems with it, here's how to use it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To use the script (after unzipping the file), put it (irismap228.scm) in the scripts folder in the GIMP directory...on Windows XP it would be something like "c:\Program Files\GIMP-2.2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts". Once the script is in the correct folder, you can start GIMP and use the script by going to "Xtns\Script-Fu\Misc\irismap". On the menu that comes up, all of the listed variables can be edited by clicking on them. The default settings make one brown iris that is 400 pixels wide and 400 pixels in height with a background color of a version of purple (200, 0, 200). If you uncheck the "flattenlayers" button, the image will have twelve separate layers (so you can tweak individual layers before "flattening" the image). If you want to save your original iris with its' layers separated, you'll want to make it an XCF file. To save the file as one layer for using in Animation Master, you'll have to "flatten" the image by using the "Flatten Image" tool in the image's "Layers" menu. GIMP will use the color you have selected as the background color in your color picker as the background for the flattened image. Using this script you can only get an oval iris and pupil, but they don't have to be perfect circles. The smallest overall iris size this script can make is 400x400 with a minimum pupil size of 125x125...the maximum overall size and pupil size is 9999x9999 at the moment but that was an arbitrary limit I put on it, you can change that size by changing the setting in the Script-Fu if you have a need for a larger iris.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A version for GIMP 2.0.4 is earlier in this thread.

irismap228.zip